RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Superliner Coach Seats

Author Topic: Amtrak Superliner Coach Seats
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the talk about legroom in coach on the airplanes I was wondering how much is the seat pitch,seat width on Amtrak's Superliner Coach cars? How many seats in a car? Is the seat comparable to first or business class on an airplane? How much recline is it? Does the seat recline as much as a standard business/first class seat on an airplane? Is it comparable to the US First/Business product or the International product.

From my opinion it's like flying first class on an airplane in many ways but even better. First of all the seats on Amtrak in coach is quite comfortable despite no shower which on an airplane you can't shower either. But having a loungecar on the train is like a lounge at the airport except the train is moving.

The meals on Amtrak beat the airline coach meals any day. On Amtrak you get a hamburger or french toast on the airplane it's rubber lol.

What are your opinions/awnsers about the seats on Amtrak. Who is the manufacture of the seats? Also will the Southwest Chief be upgraded to Superliner 2 cars or newer seats?

What is the difference in the seats between a superliner 1 /2 car does anyone have photos of the coach seats in the Superliner 1/2 car so I can see the difference?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can probably answer some of your questions.

I don't know what Superliner coach seat pitch is, but I know I can sit upright and put my legs straight out and barely touch the seat ahead. I don't think you can do that in an airliner first class seat.

Superliner seats are wider than airline coach seats by maybe 2-3 inches, but not as wide as first class airline seats.

bear in mind Superliner coaches were designed with overnight travel in mind. They are closely based on their streamline era coach predecessors, which had identical leg and foot rests.

Superliner 1 coach seats, unlike earlier cars, all had a center armrest when they were first introduced, but people found them annoying and they were removed. They hindered sleeping comfort. Many of them still have the armrest mounting base between the seats, however. Refurbished seats don't have that anymore.

Superliner 1 seats originally had blue and orange upholstery, and orange curtains. Superliner 2 had pink and grey. I rode in one S-1 that had pink upholstery and orange curtains! Many are now being re-done with dark blue in both S-1 and S-2 cars.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>don't know what Superliner coach seat pitch is, but I know I can sit upright and put my legs straight out and barely touch the seat ahead. I don't think you can do that in an airliner first class seat.

As I fly a lot more than I take the rails (quite unfortunately) ... Amtrak coach seat pitch seems to range from 44 to 52 inches according to several sites' information with the higher number from the Texas Eagle's site.

Major airlines not in bankruptcy will generally have first class seat pitch in the 64 to 92(!) inch range. Business class pitches from 50 to 60 inches. And, while I'm here, coach runs from 29 to 35 inches. Other classes such as premium economy (sometimes sold as "first class" ha ha ha), business first, and some domestic US "first class" seats run in between.

>Superliner seats are wider than airline coach seats by maybe 2-3 inches, but not as wide as first class airline seats.

The other factor is seat width. Amtrak coach is in the 20 inch to 23 inch range (cushion width). Airline seats vary from 17 inches to 22 inches, depending on class.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page