RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Orlando Hotels

Author Topic: Orlando Hotels
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be taking Amtrak to Orlando in February to take a Disney cruise with my two little girls.. The next morning we will be taking the official Disney cruise transportation from the airport to Port Canaveral. Can anyone recommend a hotel not too far from either the Amtrak station or the airport? One that offers a free airport shuttle would be nice, but I understand that's not common in Orlando. After 2 days on the train, I would certainly like a hotel with room service and a pool. My plan had been to stay at the airpot Hyatt, as Disney picks up there, but it is all booked up for a convention.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what sort of standard/price range you're looking for but when I stayed in Orlando overnight last May before picking up the Sunset Limited I stayed at the Ramada Inn & Suites on McCoy Road. It's about three miles from the airport and seven from Amtrak. It's not 5 star luxury but a clean, safe & comfortable 3-star and lots of families with children were staying there. No room service, but there's a large outdoor heated pool, free all-you-can-eat cooked breakfast, free shuttle to/from the airport, and a room on a Saturday night was less than $70.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had looked into the Marriott downtown, and alo the Courtyard by Marriott downtown. Both are near the train depot, and I understand that Mears provides some reserved shuttle service from each to the airport for a reasonable fee. HOwever, when I've checked recently neither has a non-smoking room available for a Febreuary travel date. I had not thought of the Ramada, as I had a bad experience at one once, but perhaps I should give them a second chance.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clwood:
I had looked into the Marriott downtown, and alo the Courtyard by Marriott downtown. Both are near the train depot, and I understand that Mears provides some reserved shuttle service from each to the airport for a reasonable fee. HOwever, when I've checked recently neither has a non-smoking room available for a Febreuary travel date. I had not thought of the Ramada, as I had a bad experience at one once, but perhaps I should give them a second chance.

Try the Red Roof Inn just off International Drive. It's near the airport. My wife and I stayed there a couple of weeks before Christmas last year and it had just been refurbished.

I'm not sure what type of amenities (ie: surface transportation) they offer.....probably not many... but we found it to be a terrific value. There are other hotels nearby so you may find it very close to somewhere the Disney bus picks up.

We arrived late in the evening from a wedding in Winter Park driving a rental car and had a flight out early the next morning. We selected the Red Roof because of it's proximity to the airport and because it didn't make sense to spend much on a room we would occupy for only six and a half mostly asleep hours! I recall that our drive to the airport rental car turn-in facility was 5 to 8 minutes......including the wrong turn I made.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page