RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Disgusted, too

Author Topic: Disgusted, too
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the recent posts from Disgusted (the Amtrak employee) and on recent developments in the Amtrak world, my wife and I are seriously rethinking our planned trip on the Sunset from Orlando to LA in April. We're both starting to sour on the idea, and can't help but wonder now if we will get even ACCEPTABLE service -- not to mention GOOD service -- for the money we've spent.

I know we can get a refund before travel starts -- and more and more, that seems to be the prudent move. After all, we spent almost $850 on these tickets, and we can fly to LAX much cheaper than that. But, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool railfan, and I HATE giving my money to the airlines.

I've been watching the Sunset's arrival times into Union Station for the past two months; recently, they have ballooned to an average of 4 hours late. I wonder how much worse it can get? And what's the service like? Are the Sunset's employees as disgruntled and pessimistic as Disgusted? Will they even CARE?

Do we even want to take this trip?

Would be interested in hearing YOUR views if you were in our situation.

Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for disgusted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just trying to give an honest opinion of what is happening. No Amtrak sugar coating.

As far a how people are being treated?
Were all trying, at least what I see, there is a lot of gumbling behind the scenes but out of view of the passenger.

I'm also hearing this is just the first round of cuts. Now that's not good.

Mr Lithian, Give Amtrak a call, have your res. number handy. Check to see if you can get a 30% discount under the new program. Call after Feb 28. let me know how it turns out.

Mr.

The name disgusted is not directed towards the passengers, it's directed towards Amtrak management, and we'll be bucking them every way we can.

[This message has been edited by disgusted (edited 02-26-2002).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by disgusted:

Mr Lithian, Give Amtrak a call, have your res. number handy. Check to see if you can get a 30% discount under the new program. Call after Feb 28. let me know how it turns out.

Mr.

The name disgusted is not directed towards the passengers, it's directed towards Amtrak management, and we'll be bucking them every way we can.

I'm not sure I get you -- is it possible that I can get a 30% discount on a ticket already in my hands? Please let me know -- obviously, the savings would be significant.

Also, I understand your choice of handle-- I'm sure I'd be feeling the same way now if I were you. Hang in there, and good luck.

Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for disgusted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sure can. It happens all of the time. The only thing i'm not sure of, is the few restricted dates in April(i'm at home right now) and when your traveling, it's worth the effort to call. The 30% is off of the rail portion only.
If the Res. agent tells you it's only on reservations made after 2/28, that's bull, the computer system might not let them auto-price the res., but they can always override it, and manual price the reservation to anything they want.

We were given a little wallet size "license" by Amtrak to do anything we want, without any kind of backlash from management to keep the passengers happy. Most of us have done just that. Someone comes up politely with a problem, we'll do all we can within reason. Come in with an attitude, your not getting much.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
powers118
Member # 813

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for powers118     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee I have tickets in hand for the southwest chief in June. If I call the 1-800-amtrak number do I ask for anything special to get a 30% discount? I wouldn't suppose you just say I want 30% off and they give it to you - I'd think you need a code or something.

Thanks so much for saving me and others money.

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
Discount code H208, I think it ends at the end of May. No need to give discounts during the summer, it's Amtraks gouge time.
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called amtrak today to see about the 30% discount and was told that special ends June 15th. We have tickets for travel starting June 19th! So... we are nor eligible. I wanted to ask disgusted if that sounds correct or is there another special fare we might be able to check on?
Thanks for the previous info.
Candy

Posts: 31 | From: Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrlithian:
Based on the recent posts from Disgusted (the Amtrak employee) and on recent developments in the Amtrak world, my wife and I are seriously rethinking our planned trip on the Sunset from Orlando to LA in April.

We are taking a sixteen day trip starting in June:

Texas Eagle to Chicago
LSL to Boston
Acela to NYC
NYC to Philly
Three Rivers to Chicago
Texas Eagle back home

I had similar concerns but then it occurred to me that this might be our last chance to make a journey like this. At least our kids (11 & 13) will have the memory of our big train trip. I expect that low morale is going to have an affect on a some of the Amtrak employees that we encounter but I suspect that most of them are professional enough keep it to themselves. Either way, we are planning to make the most of our trip.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you plan on traveling during a non-sale period, there's always RailSale for discount tickets. I will be taking advantage of this soon.
RailSale discounts are availible through the Reservations link on the Amtrak web page.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
powers118
Member # 813

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for powers118     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to play with rail sale. It doesn't seem to work for me. For example On the rail sale chicago to LA - I would key in and see maybe 8 seats on the day I would choose for what $58. In that same rail sale area I would then choose my actual rail trip, Chicago to Lamy, and I would get the regular price of $200 or so. What do I need to do for the system to honor those 8 seats on my destination short of LA?
Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Mrlithian:
The Sunset Limited staff provided superb service on my trip last week. The train was 6 hours late into LA, but the dining car, which should have been closed was open for breakfast and lunch. There were passengers for the Coast Starlight and they were bussed from Palm Springs to Bakersfield to catch that train. On the return from LA to JAX, we were only one hour behind schedule. Our car attendant and the Diner staff went the "extra mile" to keep the passengers satisfied and amused. I also traveled on the Silver Star where the service was not so good. The Silver Star staff had a real attitude problem.

Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
If there's no Chi-Lmy listed under railsale, just book the Chi-Lax and get off in Lmy. We won't keep you hostage.
powers118
Member # 813

Rate Member
Thanks Disgusted

I can understand that would work getting off early but how will that work coming home. If I buy LA to Chi how can I get on the train in Lmy, that is a day later. Wouldn't my seat be given away?

disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
No, if you reserve Lax-Chi but don't get on until Lmy, there's no way for the conductor to report that your not on board. The seats are held open for the whole trip, because when you reserved, the seats were taken out of the computer inventory.
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I just booked my RS tickets, there was a selection for your arrival and departure station. It should be simple. I booked ROC-ALB on a Buf-lo to NY Penn ticket. This will reserve your seat and put you on the manifest for the proper stations. No wonder Am can't provide an accurate passenger count after an accident if people book the whole trip and travel halfway.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
powers118
Member # 813

Rate Member
Amtrak207 - disgusted

I tried to go thru the procedure using the chi to lmy stations on the chi to lax rail sale option, both directions. It won't let me. See if it will work for you.

I personally would be afraid if I did buy my ticket LAX to CHI and tried to get on in Lmy that the conductor wouldn't let me on and there I be - unable to get home.

traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had the same problem from time to time. I have to leave the Amtrak site and come back to it or restart the computer. It gets caught in a loop or something.
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page