RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Mountain Crossings

Author Topic: Amtrak Mountain Crossings
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im still trying to decide whether I should take the Coast Starlight or the California Zephyr. Ive taken the starlight before and enjoyed it. Ive heard so much about the California Zephyr. Is there one particular point on its route that makes it so great or is it because its full of nonstop gorgeous scenery? How does the Starlight's mountain crossing in the southern Oregon Cascades compare with the Zephyr's mountain crossings?

Also still thinking of giving the Southwest Chief a try. Heard that Raton Pass is incredible. So how does it compare to the Zephyr, Starlight, Empire Builder, etc?

I need to make my bookings for Christmas as soon as possible

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Zephyr is best due to Donner Pass then Solider Summit in Utah following the Colorado River for 232 miles through Ruby, Glenwood, Gore and Byers Canyon, the Moffat Tunnel and the Front
Range of the Rockies.

The Chief westbound gets Raton Pass, Glorieta Pass and Cajon Pass in twilight when on time.

Just my thoughts,

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The California Zephyr is a good ride because you have to do the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada. Fortunately, the schedule calls for both ranges to be crossed during the day. The Southwest Chief crosses Raton Pass and Glorieta Pass, and neither could hold a candle to the passes on the Zephyr. If you're looking for mountains, do the Zephyr.

But the Zephyr is slow. By the time the train gets to Sacramento, you're just about "moutained out."

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info, guys. Im leaning on doing the southwest chief west to la, connect to the starlight to portland, then do the zephyr eastbound on the way back. Because its winter time, some of the rockies will be done in the darkness. However, ill see the sierras, and glenwood canyon in daylight for sure.

I can still change my mind, but will need to make a decision soon.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
ill probably miss cajon pass though because it will be dark (its winter time, right, what time does the sun rise and set in the southern states like arizona and california?)
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made two trips out west for the first time in the past year and thought them simply magnificent. I have a special spot in my heart for my first crossing of the Mississippi on the Southwest Chief and first view of the SW, coming into New Mexico after the exciting Raton Pass, Apache Canyon, and especially the marvenous red rocks Albuquerque to Gallup.

I also loved the Coast Starlight from Sacramento to Portland (the only portion I've been on), Mount Shasta, the Klamath area--oh, it was pretty spectacular all the way to Eugene.

And the Empire Builder heading east out of Portland was pretty darn nice too (I haven't done it from Seattle yet), the Columbia River Gorge was really something, and the next morning through Glacier Park--then somewhat dull on the Plains but it picked up nicely the next morning in Minneapolis/St Paul--the views of the Mississippi were quite fine for a much longer time than the SW Chief and Zephyr.

But I guess my vote for the most spectacular of all I've done would have to be the Zephyr between Denver and Sacramento (I only went as far west as Sacramento). That's because of the variety--you have the fabulous the Rockies with Glenwood Canyon and the traveling along the Colorado River, then the marvelous red rocks/painted desert of Utah, and the next day crossing the Sierra Nevada/Donner Pass/Donner Lake.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page