RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight, late Nov

Author Topic: Coast Starlight, late Nov
tg_lindo
Member # 3936

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tg_lindo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I just found this forum and it sure is great reading.

I am on Coast Starlight in a couple weeks. How many sleeper cars, coaches, and lounge cars can I expect?

Earlier in the year I took the Zephyr for its whole route and enjoyed it so much I planned this trip. So, as for the train itself, I'm wondering how the train itself will compare between the 2 routes.

Posts: 9 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on the Coast Starlight in July the consist was 3 sleepers, Pacific Parlour car, diner, sightseer lounge, 4 coaches.

If you're riding first class, the Pacific Parlour is a first class lounge car. They are unique to the Starlight. These cars were originally Santa Fe lounge cars on the El Capitan in the 1960's. The nicest feature, I thought, was a 21 seat downstairs theatre.

Have a great trip.

'crawling toward 500 posts one click at a time.'

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do they show movies in that 21 seat theatre? popcorn too?
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, MontanaJim, when I was over in US last year, I saw 'Calendar Girls' in the lower level theatrette.
Not being a popcorn eater I didn't enquire, however Nanette was on duty in the Parlour Car & she makes a mean bloody mary!!! [Big Grin]
Mike in Australia.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want 2 know more about the Coast Starlight you can ask Me!

The Coast Starlight is the one Train That Features The Pacific Parlar Car, its a Car that was Converted from X-ATSF High-Rise Cars, but Amtrak now use them as Parlor Cars For Sleeper Guest, If ur riding Sleeper, you can Ride a Parlor Car, The Starlight has the best Scenery and stuff to see, and The Crew is usualy great!, and its a Fun Train to ride, if ur lucky Amtrak will have one of there tour guides on board, who will tell you whateve you want to know about the places you go by!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaJim:
do they show movies in that 21 seat theatre? popcorn too?

I have been in it quite a few times, I think its only around 10ish seats, not 21...no popcorn [Frown]

Enjoy your trip..The consist is rather long on the starlight as Notelvis explanied, and the scenary and crews are excellent as Joanthon said.

I reccomend you go sleeping car if you can, because the Pacific Parlour car is really enjoyable and you miss it when you go on other LD trains.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am beginning to think there are different numbers of seats in different Pacific Parlour cars. Above we see 21 and ~10.

19 is claimed at http://trainweb.com/accommod/parlour.html

And I count 17 at http://www.360360.com/cgi-bin/photos/runipix.cgi?/ipix/superliner/sl207_hires.ipx

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Coast Starlight coach from Sacramento to Portland, and coach wasn't bad either. I actually liked that it was late--as people here pointed out, I got to see more of the Mt Shasta area because of that. Of course, it was only 1 hour late getting in to Sacramento (1AM instead of midnight); I might not have liked if it was 5!!! And I got into Portland only an hour or two late; that was great too.

I think if I do it again I would stay over in Eugene and take a Cascades train all the way up to Seattle. Or maybe Salem. It would be fun to visit all the state capitols!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tg_lindo
Member # 3936

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tg_lindo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the great info! An acquaintance of mine, who surprised me by being on the same California Zephyr with me, said the Coast Starlight train was "nicer" and in hindsight, he must have been referring to the parlor car.

If I can afford it, on an overnight ride, I'll pay the extra for the sleeper. The parlor sounds like one more good reason.

The biggest surprise to me, on the Zephyr, was how much nicer and enthusiastic the train crew was, compared to airline flight attendants!

Posts: 9 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Starlight also boasts (almost always) a full Superliner II revenue consist. The only other train to have this distinction is the Auto Train. I say revenue because the Starlight has the Budd built Parlour car and the Auto Train has refurbished Superliner I diners used for lounges.

Jonathon, High-Rise?...eeek [Eek!]
They're Hi-Levels....but you were close [Razz]

Oh and as far as seats in the lounge "movie" section go, I'm sure each car varies. They were all refurbished at different times. And the seats are just moveable chairs (at least since the last time I took the Starlight), so I'm sure they get lost, misplaced, or put in other cars when they're cleaned.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page