RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My 2005 Holiday Rail Journey

Author Topic: My 2005 Holiday Rail Journey
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, ive made my bookings for my christmas holiday vacation . I will travel from my home in Washington DC on December 14th to Chicago on the Capital Limited, change trains, then take the southwest Chief to Los Angeles, Change to the Starlight and travel to Seattle. From there Ill take a bus to my mothers home in Montana. This half of my trip will conclude on December 20th.

After two weeks at home with my mom, Ill start out in Whitefish on January 5th and take the Empire Builder to Portland, connecting to the southbound Starlight to Sacramento. At Sacramento, Ill change to the California Zephyr to Chicago. In Chicago, Ill change to the Capitol Limited, travelling to Pittsburgh where I will switch to the Pennslvanian so that I can see Amish Country and the famous horseshoe curve. Ill board a regional in Philly to finish my journey back in DC on the 10th.

Now is this a trip or what? Am I nuts? And it will all be done in Coach ( im a low budget traveller). Im excited. After all these trains though, I think I wont want to board another one for another year. (Actually I would probably be willing to do it again with a weeks rest if I could).

Im lucky i havent used any vacation days all year and my boss is letting me take this much time off.

What do you guys think of my plans? What are the odds that I will be able to do the whole thing without having any trains snowed out or cancelled? Im definitely doing my part to keep Amtrak afloat!

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your trip sounds super and I think you will see some incredible things.....the Zephyr will be the highlight.

You may want to consider an upgrade to sleeper on the southbound 'Starlight' though so that you can take advantage of the Pacific Parlour car!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought about taking the zephyr westbound but my connection in LA between the westbound chief and northbound starlight works out better. Some of the rockies west of denver might be in the dark, but at least ill get to see the lights of denver, which i have heard are quite a sight to be seen at night from 10,000 ft!
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
do you think i should take the westbound zephyr too instead of the chief and starlight from LA?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you do will be nice, Jim. Just remember, if you are traveling coach, bring an extra pillow! And travel light, but dress in layers, and bring music and a book. Also I like those eye patch things for sleeping at night.

Also, re Seattle, are you staying over some place when you get in? Because you likely will be pretty late getting in, from what I hear. . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Montanna ---
Each line has it's own special charm. I would say that what you have mapped out looks like a winner trip. I very much enjoyed my trip on the Zephyr last Nov. (I did it westbound.) I also make 2 trips per year to AZ using the Southwest Chief. I never tire of the scenery even though at this point I have made the trip many times.

Usually I travel in a roomette but do occasionally do a one nighter in coach. I also recommend traveling as light as possible. A pillow and throw size blanket are a for sure plus when traveling coach. I, myself, sleep like the dead -- anytime, anywhere -- but have been told by fellow travelers who are light sleepers that ear plugs and eye shades are a help.

Whatever you do --- do not forget to pack your sense of humor and sense of adventure where it will be easy to access. Even the most fondly remembered trips I have taken have sometimes had a slight bump in the road. (Often it has been the bump that I look back at and chuckle over the most.)

Enjoy !!

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a great trip! Would you mid sharing what the itinerary costs? Noone else but me wants to plan another Amtrak trip - party poopers- so I have to travel vicariously.

If you do upgrade to a roomette on the CS (that wasn't much $$ when we did it this past June), in additon to the free wine tasting, you can also see a movie in the Pacific Parlor Car. That helps pass the time!

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
My total railfare is $402.00 ( i got the student discount).

I think its a pretty good deal. Ive done cross country trips before, its just been 10 years and ive never done the zephyr, pennsylvanian, or lake shore limited.

i thought about doing the canadian, but decided with amtrak's current situation id do just amtrak on this trip. also, i noted that via is charging 372.00 (in us dollars) for coach one way vancouver-toronto for when i want to travel. Thats an outrageous price for someone like me who is a budget traveler. Im lucky i can afford the amtrak trip im doing. (id never be able to do it in sleeper. So for about the same price for a one way on the canadian, i can travel for a combined 10 days on amtrak.

travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No trip on Amtrak is nuts whatsoever. You enjoy yourself,a cruise on rails etc.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
wow, amtraks prices have gone up drastically. the trip i am doing now costs $689.00. Im happy i booked my tickets 10 days ago!
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck MontanaJim don't forget to write. Don't give in and book a sleeper sleeping on a coach seat is comfortable and unless the train is packed I'd take that sleeping area over some luxery bed seat that the airlines have been pushing in their business class. How could you sleep comfortable at those fares? Keep us updated on the trip. Will you have any long lay overs for connections (Planned or unplanned). And if you have the time could you make some comments on some of the train stations you'll stop at.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MontanaJim, you are lucky. Last year we went to Denver from DC and the cost was $1458. This year,if we decide to go, with the exact same accomodations and time of year it will be almost $2500. That is quite a jump. ( afriend suggested I charge it to congress. After all she reasoned they get long paid vacations with our money.3weeks at thanksgiving for example)
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady, funny but an interesting observation.

No Federal monies are spent without Congress voting for them. The Administration, whichever party, only gets to approve or veto what Congress sends up.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page