RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Australians needing advice on Amtrak

Author Topic: Australians needing advice on Amtrak
kobe2256
Member # 4172

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for kobe2256     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gooday from Australia everyone,
[Smile] I have read thru the helpful tips for a first timer elsewhere on this forum and am wondering if anyone could offer me some further advice please.
We are 2 families of 2 adults and teenage children travelling in December on the 98 Silver Meteor from Orlando to Washington DC.
It is not in our budget to have a sleeping room and so we are travelling coach.We will have travel pillows with us but I don't know what to do about blankets.
We are coming from Australia and I want to buy things in America to bring home...not bring over a case full of blankets to carry around as we will not require them for any other part of our trip.
Is there any option to hire blankets on the train ? Any other options anyone can suggest? Your advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Posts: 1 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak used to sell blankets onboard several of its trains, but I don't recall if they still do. Usually, though, the onboard climate control is set to a desirable level (warm in winter, cool in summer), but of course, that depends on your comfort zone.
Sorry I can't be more helpful with tips- I understand that you want as much room as possible for souvenirs and such.
Good luck, and have fun!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using a silk sleeping bag liner to keep me cozy during my last few cross country trips and it works just fine (and I'm the sort of person that gets really chilly). They fold into a tiny packet and keep me remarkably comfortable. I suppose a flannel liner might work too if your budget is limited but it will take up more space.

I could write a book about survival in coach, but in a nutshell I recommend carrying:

Lots of premoistened towellettes ("Wet Ones")
A gallon of storebought water (per person)
Some sort of sleeping pill
An inflatable pillow for your head
An eyemask to keep out light
Slippers with good soles
Reading material
And earplugs.

Personally I don't particularly care for the route you are travelling on or the single-level trains (though the marshlands are interesting) so also bring along plenty of patience. It's a long haul, if there ever was one.

The food is generally good on board but if you can't afford meals in the diner, the cheese pizza in the cafe will sustain you, if they've got it. The pepperoni pizza is deadly.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They still do in the lounge car of most of the long distance routes. But half the time they are out of the large blankets and have only the small ones.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you dont snore, I always take 'Breath Right' mentholated Nasal Strips. They work wonders in making you sleep at night.

The 'blankets' they sell on the train run $9 and do the job, but are not remarkable.

And as 'chuck' listed, earplugs (comfortable ones) are an absolute MUST have item. Use can still wear your CD-player headphones over most of them and listen to your music and still damper out lots of excess noise. An 8-pack of extra batteries would be nice too.

I always buy a small cheap nylon cooler and bring my own sodas/water, and lots of snacks and chips (Pringles work well) to go with your Amtrak burger or pizza.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the same train every January to Florida. Though I now try to take sleepers, I have gone coach several times, especially when I stop off someplace on the way down. When I do, I use my coat as my blanket; I never carry one. It is too much trouble--more trouble than not having one. Since it's cold up north when I leave, but since I don't want a big thick winter coat once I get to Florida, I usually wear a raincoat with zipout lining over layers of clothes. The raincoat makes a fine enough blanket; and I take one of those black eye masks to keep the light out (otherwise I wouldn't sleep). Some people also take ear plugs; that is probably a good idea; though I use my walkman and put instrumental music on if there is noise and I want something soothing to fall asleep to. Among my layers of clothes I always include warm socks, usually with a thinner pair underneath. I also wear thermal underwear for getting to the train up north but usually remove that in the train station before I leave. I do bring a children's pillow, and I also take the travel pillow that the conductor offers me; I like having one for my head and one for my back or side. My pillow is easy to squish into my overnight bag. A blanket would not be.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to take exception to Chucky's November 19 remark that Orlando to Washington, D.C. on the Silver Meteor is "a long haul, if there ever was one". I think what he meant to say was "It's a boring ride, if there ever was one"--that is to say, some passengers might find it psychologically long. I think it would have been better if he had made that point in a literal way, rather than expressing it in a manner that might lead some uninformed RailForum readers to conclude that the Orlando-to-Washington, D.C. trip is in a real sense excessively long and/or slow. In fact, it's neither. It's a trip of 899 miles that's scheduled to take 17 hours and 37 minutes, for an average speed of 51 miles per hour including station stops (several of which are moderately lengthy). You get on board, have lunch, have an afternoon of boring sightseeing (or other activity of your choice), have dinner, spend a few hours in a non-sightseeing activity of your choice, sleep, and you're there.

The Sunset Limited might conceivably be called "a long haul, if there ever was one"--although, as we all know, it's far from the world's longest. But the Silver Meteor from Orlando to Washington? Never!

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with Sojourner. Just use your coats as blankets. Many years ago I rode Amtrak during the winter between home and school. My heavy winter jacket was my blanket, and it worked just fine with nothing extra to carry.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SunsetLtd:
They still do in the lounge car of most of the long distance routes. But half the time they are out of the large blankets and have only the small ones.

If you would like to buy a blanket onboard, SunsetLtd is 100% right, you really should be careful because they do not always sell them in the lounge. Lately, souveniers in the lounge car have been very scarce.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with mpaulshore; it's not a really long trip. If you are flying to the US from Australia, I think you will be able to make this one too!

However, to me, while it is not a particularly scenic ride, it is not entirely without scenic value either: right after you leave Orlando, you go through Winter Park and can see the green/town center; it's quite pretty (and very un-Florida-like--looks more like a New England commons in some ways!). And if the train is on time (which apparently is unlikely lately; they have a lot of freight congestion, due to Katrina damage to Gulf tracks etc) or even just an hour late, you will get to Jacksonville when it is still light; there is a fairly pretty area there along the
St Johns River, where you can see the downtown bridge (sit on the right side facing forward to see it best) and I seem to remember also a nice bit of stretch along the Atlantic coast (but I could be mixing it up with something south of Orlando, which you won't see)

Unfortunately, you will cross the attractive tropical swampishness of the Georgia and South Carolina coast in the dark this time of year on the Meteor. However next morning, the Virginia countryside is not entirely without scenic appeal, especially if there is snow on the fields. And the glimpse of the Capitol and, if I recall correctly, Jefferson Memorial as you come in to DC is also appealing . . . I think that is on the left but I forget, and could be mixing it up with the view from the Crescent . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The view of the Jefferson Memorial, Capital, etc. in Washington DC area is the same whether from the Meteor or the Crescent, Cardinal, or any other train from the south into Washington, as north of Alexandria VA they are on the same tracks. It is on the left hand side facing northbound.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day,

If you want advice then Im just the right person. I travel coach because the sleeper cars are way too expensive even with the meals included. I have been on 4 overnight trains in the past two years(Southwest Chief LA-Lamy NM-LA) and I did well in coach. The coach seats are quite comfortable like a recliner at home. It reclines so far back and the leg rest comes out of the seat like in Business/First class on the airplanes. They dim the lights around 8 PM. I bring my own blanket. I have to admit that I take the blankets from the airline(when I see an extra blanket) they don't seem to mind as it's a soviner. I take my Virgin Atlantic Blanket with me on Amtrak and it's comfortable.

They provide complementary pillows albiet small but it's better than airline travel. You have less seats per car. I love hanging out in the loung car. European Trains don't offer this feature which is why I like Amtrak's setup. You have seats that swivel or seats that are fixed. The views from this car are great. Downstairs is a snack car selling snacks for a pretty reasonable price.

The Dining car is worth it. For dinner they take reservations and they ask that one person from each group remains at your seat in coach and they give you a couple of times to choose from. I usually go for the earliest because there are more selections available.

For Brekafast and Lunch they will announce the times. Usually the car opens around 6 for breakfast but they start announcing it around 8 so not to disturb the fellow passengers.

Breakfast prices run between 6-10 dollars, Lunch 8-12 dInner 9-30 with great meals. In my opinion the meals on Amtrak are like First/Business Class on an Airplane they used to get their catering from Gate Gourmet who provides meals to the airlines. On Amtrak they cook the meals on a stove and they don't microwave the meals. The presentation of the meals are good.

As for SOda I don't order the Pepsi because it's not bottomless refills you pay so much for a small can. What I do is buy the 20 liter Bottles of Pepsi/Pepsi 1 and bring a cooler with ice. YOu can place your bags in the compartments above each seat.

Plan for you and your teenagers to bring a walkman or MP3 Player or Gameboy with headphones and lots of books and other fun things. Also plan on bringing snacks to avoid the costs of the snack car especially when they close at night and your hungry. I usually bring peanuts ,trailmix,rolls etc. Also I like to bring Tazo Tea and ask for hot water in the snack car. You can buy Tazo at Starbucks.

FOr Breakfast Tea,Juice and Coffee is included as well as at lunch and dinner at dinner you get a salad and bread rolls. I always drink the included beverages you can ask for ice in your tea and lemon and use the provided sugar and voilla free ice tea.

Please feel free to email me at danielonn2002@yahoo.com I am 21 and have been booking my own trips as well as my families since I was 10. I am very interested in the travel industry and I give reccomendations to my friends.

I have even helped to plan my family's 4month trip to Europe that I enjoyed going by train and other transit modes.

Oh and also be aware that Amtrak has a tendancy to run late unlike the TGVs. But I take it in stride and I say"Well it's extra time added to my vacation to enjoy the meals and scenery". I would never book a tight connection usually I stay in a place a day or two but in some instances if I make a connection I allow 2-3 hours sometimes they may bus you to catch up with your train or overnight you in a hotel. Please be open and go with the flow.

Also here in America we are very strict about underage drinking so be sure your teens are aware that yes in Australia they can drink at a younger age but in America they must be 21 and show their ID. I have heard stories about undeducated people from overseas get arressted for underage drinking.

At some rest stops/service stops you will have time to deboard the train but be sure your are in sight of the train and ready when you hear All Aborad at some stops you get about an hour but I always get back on the train 20 minutes before it leaves if it leaves without you tough luck.

If you deboard at night or whenever you must be ready to get off as sometimes the train is late and will not stay in the station long enough had it been running ontime. What I do is get my bags downstairs and wait by the door when they announce your stop as being the next. The conducter announces the stops even at night and makes sure your getting off. Everyone is issued a seat check placed above your seat. YOu must remain at your seat until the tickets are collected then your free to go wherever.

Good luck and happy trails. Again please feel free to email me at danielonn2002@yahoo.com with further questions and mention you saw my posting at Trainweb in the subject so I will get back to you sooner.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Daniel's (TravelPlus's) description is of the two-level Superliner-type trains; the Silver Meteor, because it goes to NYC (after Washington DC), is of the Viewliner type and not on two levels; the snack bar adjoins the lounge seats and is on the same level (I believe some of the conductors or car attendants call it 'the cafe cafe'). When it's not already crowded, it is often a good place to hang out if you are traveling coach, for variety, and sometimes the window views are better there; but it is not a real observation lounge as in western/Superliner trains, and it is not as nice or spacious as those.

Also, your bags are obviously not downstairs on these trains, as Daniel describes; there is no downstairs. There is usually a section for bags at the front or back of the car, and you can also put them (if you are strong enough, or they are light enough) on the overhead rack. If you have a real lot of luggage (as people coming from overseas often do), you will probably need to check some of your baggage (but keep your overnight bag with you). You may want to check it anyway, if you are not in a hurry when you arrive in DC; although I never do, I know others who do.

The food I've had on Amtrak is in my opinion not quite as good as what Daniel describes--I once had the most awful piece of fish in the world on the Silver Meteor, and definitely overpriced. I'd say the food is sometimes quite good but is inconsistent, and it also depends on what you order. The steaks are usually pretty good but a bit pricey; I've always liked them on my Silver Meteor runs but once on another line (might be Lakeshore Ltd, I forget) I had them overcooked to shoe leather (and they were way too busy to consider sending them back; though had I been paying cash and not a sleeper passenger, I might well have). The desserts are delicious, especially the chocolate pyramid and cheesecake (but let it sit a bit; it's refrigerated); I've never had the key lime pie but that is often commended too. But overall, I would say, if you are traveling coach (and so don't have the food included) and want to save money, you might consider bringing food and drink on board for your dinner, if it's convenient for you to get some near the train before you board it (I'm not familiar with Orlando station area).

I do recommend you do the diner thing at least once; it's fun, you meet people (though less when you travel with a group), and it makes the time go faster. The views from the dining car are not bad (assuming it's light out). So I would recommend it for breakfast if you are trying to save money--it's not too expensive. I don't much like most of the breakfasts, however (esp the home fries, they are packaged and awful) but I do usually REALLY like the Railroad French Toast, with the strawberry syrup (and some fake maple syrup as well). (Though, again, I once had it when they reheated it!) I believe the dining car usually opens for breakfast at 6:30 on the Silver Meteor, but it might open 6AM.

Keep in mind that if you bring your own food on the train, the staff do not like you going into the lounge/cafe car to eat it, as obviously they want to sell their own goods.

For snacks, I personally like to bring lowfat granola bars, bananas, dried apricots, and a bottle or two of water. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are also very good for travel, if it is convenient for you to obtain the ingredients and make them in Orlando before you leave.

Re deboarding the train: It seems to me that there are fewer of these stops than on western trains I've taken, but maybe that is because it is a shorter trip, and so much of it is at night (and just one night). The conductor/car attendant usually calls them smoking stops. Be sure to check with the conductor or car attendant where you can do it and where you should stand. I think the train moves around in Jacksonville, so you don't want to get caught thinking you have half an hour there when you only have five minutes in that one place! And remember, as you go north, you will need your coat in December!

Finally, in my experience, the conductor does not announce stops at night; instead, a car attendant or conductor stops by your seat to wake/alert people about 10-15 minutes before their stops. They sometimes don't use the microphones even in the day time (maybe they are broken). But, even if they do, they generally go through the cars in the day time too and make sure people are deboarding on their stops as well. While this works 99.9 percent of the time, I've seen the occasional mixup. It usually happens when people are in the lounge car or someplace else different from where they were when they boarded, but occasionally there is new staff who falls asleep themselves! (In fact, when my Coast Starlight reached Sacramento, a passenger had to open the door for us because the attendant had fallen asleep!) So it's always a good idea to be aware of when your stop is coming up yourself. This should not be a problem as you approach DC--I add this for other people who are reading the above post.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page