RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » E-mail from Senator Boxer

Author Topic: E-mail from Senator Boxer
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this in my e-mail today in response to a "save Amtrak" e-mail I sent to Senator Barbara Boxer last week. She refers to bill S738, which is actually the Armed Forces Voting Rights Protection Act of 2001. I suspect she (or rather, a staffer) gave the wrong number. Does anyone know what she is referring to?

February 27, 2002

toylandmry@aol.com
Electronic Mail,

Dear Friend:

Thank you for your e-mail concerning Federal funding for Amtrak. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

I supported legislation that would mandate a reorganization of Amtrak's management and labor practices. After a hard-fought compromise on a number of issues, the House and Senate decided
to allocate the additional $2.3 billion Amtrak needs to stay out of bankruptcy. The bill, S. 738, also authorizes a total of $5.1 billion for the railroad through fiscal year 2002.

I supported this legislation because I believe that it is essential for Congress to maintain a strong national passenger rail
system.

Again, thank you for writing to me on this matter, and please stay in touch with me.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atleast you've gotten a response! All I've received have been canned auto-responses, and nothing acknowledging the snail mail letters i sent in..
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, get canned responses from Dianne Feinstein. My sister gets individual e-mail replies from her senator in Oregon (Smith?).

I sent Boxer a snail-mail letter last fall, just before the anthrax scare, and she finally responded to that yesterday by USPS. It said there had been a severe delay in replies because of the anthrax. That might still be affecting the replies to your mail, too.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gadaniels
Member # 334

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gadaniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its S1958, available at http://thomas.loc.gov (just enter bill number S1958 (title: Rail Passenger Service Improvement Act (Introduced in the Senate))
Posts: 6 | From: Chicago IL USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sideout1961
Member # 1297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sideout1961     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read s1958 and saw nothing in there about long distance rail service. I saw NEC mentioned though. So will we have long distance rail service after October or not? I really wish they would put these same requirements on the airline industry then see how long they would last before they went under. They seem to forget that there are alot of people who don't like to fly and the train is the only other option(outside of the bus,but I know I wouldn't want to go coast to coast on a bus). I wrote my congressmen and have got no response. I live in the northeast so I'm sure that answers that.
Sideout

[This message has been edited by sideout1961 (edited 03-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by sideout1961 (edited 03-01-2002).]

Posts: 15 | From: Holyoke, Ma. ,Usa | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page