RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » connecting from the zephyr to the capitol limited

Author Topic: connecting from the zephyr to the capitol limited
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am connecting from the Zephyr to the Capitol limited in January. The CZ is late quite often and there is only a two and a half hour layover between trains. Has anyone done this transfer lately? The next train out is the Lake Shore after 7 and to get to BWI that will take an extra leg after New York. I am going when there is no Cardinal. How many times has the CZ arrived after 7 when all the eastbound trains have left and what does Amtrak do for you with a guaranteed connction? Do they offer a free hotel or a flight home? Just curious.
Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
graynt, we made the transfer in May. We have done it every year since 1994.The cz was late every year. That being said it was only after 7 once. That year it was 9 hours late. At Galesburg they held a meeting and we were given 3 choices. 1 stay on the train and fly from chi or 2 stay over night at their expense or 3 board a bus in Galesburg and go to Indianapolis where we could catch the Cardinal. We opted for the last one. We got to Indianapolis before the Cardinal and were assigned rooms. All the roomettes were gone so we were upgraded to a bedroom. They couldn't have been nicer. The on Board chief called our daughter 3 times to tell her our change of plans. The other times we made the connection by the skin of our teeth, either they held the Capital or a red cap was waiting to rush us over to #29.
We still laugh over the Galesburg incident. The train started to move before we could get off. I was yelling "stop this train" which they finally did. Our car attendent got us and our bags off the train and we were left in the pitch dark on the edge of the tracks next to a field. They told us to wait there and the bus would pick us up. Finally the bus driver appeared with a huge flashlight and told us to follow him in a single line because the field was full of gopher holes. I said" great just what I want to do fall into a gopher hole" That got the 3 of us laughing and by the time we got to the bus I guess the frustration was showing. When we got the Indianapolis 30 of on the bus trooped into the station and the agent there was stunned. It seems no one had told him we were coming.It was after 1am before the Cardinal arrived and we were all settled. But as I have often said,"travel is an adventure and if you can't expect the unexpected stay home"

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my own experiences, and reading that of others, the order of preference is usually the following, with the most preferable to Amtrak first. Note that not all the options may be available to you as a customer.

1. Take the next train (the Lake Shore in your case)
2. Take road transport, be it scheduled Greyhound or private hire bus/taxi.
3. Stay overnight at Amtrak's expense and take your train a day later.
4. Fly (it happens, but it's more rare, usually offered as a last resort to desperate passengers)

A refund is also possible, although not necessarily on the spot.

I was on a 7-hour late Zephyr. The only two options given to me, with a missed connection to Memphis, were Greyhound or hotel and the train the following day. You also get a small amount of cash for meals and taxis, if appropriate. I can't remember how much I got but it was fully adequate for my needs. Amtrak do look after you in these situations.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
graynt --
This week I was on the Southwest Chief which arrived into Chicago 6 hours late.This caused passengers who had connections to The Capital Limited, The Lakeshore Limited and the Wolverine to miss those connections.
Amtrak sent Passenger Service Reps from Chicago out to board the train in Galesburg. They met with each affected passenger.
They made arrangements for those scheduled for the Capital Lmt and Lakeshore Lmt to put us up in a hotel (Crowne Plaza) overnight. They arranged for a shuttle bus to take us there and bring us back late morning the next day. We were given $30 in a cash voucher to pay for meals. Arrangements were made to reticket us to take the train on the next day. With the same accomodations (sleepers or coach) as far as I know in all cases.
In the case of the Wolverine passengers -- they were bustituted to their destination. (But in the case of at least one family with small children were given the hotel/ next day option. This due to the parents feeling that these small children were not up to a 6 hour bus trip commencing at midnite.)
It was -- to Amtrak's credit -- all handled professionally and we were kept informed from the time it appeared inevitable that we would not make our connections. Kudos to the Passenger Service Reps and the on board staff for a job well handled and done.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transferring NOW from the western trains to the Capitol in Chicago is a situation that really "ruffles my feathers" anymore.

In MY opinion, it was a ridiculous decision to move up the departure time for the Capitol Limited east-bouind from Chicago to 5 PM as it is now----instead of the more "reasonable" 7 PM departure.

Presently, any season , I would simply never even consider a SAME DAY connection from any of the western trains to the Capitol. Why ?---because the chances of actually making the connection are so slim.

Think of the "options" :

1. Connect to the Lake Shore instead for the trip east.

If my destination is DC that is hundreds of miles out of my way. Also, I would have to transfer in New York City and do the NYC/DC trip by COACH.---with all my luggage. No thanks.

There is absolutely no guarantee that sleeping accomodations will be available on the Lake Shore for me----IF I was a first class passenger.

2. Connect to the Cardinal for the trip east.

Again, there is no guarantee that sleeping accomodations would be available for me. Also, this involves a much LONGER trip. Also, there is a rather late arrival time into DC if the Cardinal is running late.

3. In BOTH cases one and two , NO Super-liner equipment.

Again, no thanks.

It is FAR easier for me now to overnite in Chicago at my own expense and that the NEXT day's Capitol east-bound.

I have never "charted" this , but perhaps some of you have:

Over the course of ONE full year , on just how many days were east-bound passengers from the Chief, Empire Builder AND Zephyr ALL able to make
SAME DAY connections to the east-bound Capitol ?

I would LOVE to know. My guess would only be 50% of the time AT BEST. Now remember, I am talking about same day connections from ALL THREE of those trains.

Evidently, the departure of the east-bound Capitol was moved up to better guarantee connections in DC to southbound passengers from there. BUT, at whose "expense" ? Instead of just ONE load of passengers being "inconvenienced" in DC by missing a south-bound train , THREE train-loads of passengers are "inconvenienced" in Chicago due to missing the east-bound Capitol. This simply does not make sense to me.

The 7:30 PM departure of the east-bound Capitol seemed "ideal." I certainly WOULD consider a same day connection to the Capitol from the west if that was the case.

When I arrive back in Chicago now, it is a major inconvenience for me because I MUST plan an over-nite---at my own expense. I am certain some of you would say "but the connection is GUARANTEED." If the connection is not made, Amtrak will hotel you at THEIR expense and put you on the NEXT day's Capitol. Well, that is certainly be correct. BUT, there is NO guarantee that a SLEEPING space will be available, correct ? I simply am not willing to take that chance.

How I MISS the late sleeping-car service back to Pittsburgh from Chicago---the Three Rivers. A 10:30 PM departure meant that I could ALWAYS make a same day connection back to Pittsburgh even if the western trains were HOURS late !!

Just my few cents !! Thanks for letting me "vent."

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>If my destination is DC that is hundreds of >miles out of my way. Also, I would have to >transfer in New York City and do the NYC/DC trip >by COACH.---with all my luggage. No thanks.

I don't know about all your other details, but doing the NYC to DC coach with my luggage for me is no trouble. There is generally space in the front of the car to plop it down, or you can simply hire a redcap for a few dollars tip in both stations.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojorner:

Would it bother you , though , to make that trip in coach when you had booked a sleeper on the Capitol---even IF you were to receive a "refund" for that part of the trip ?

When I book a sleeper for my entire trip, I expect to HAVE that sleeper for the entire trip. The main difficulty I have when switching (due to a missed connection) from one train to another is that my sleeping accomodation is NOT guaranteed.

I simply will not travel coach anymore.

As I mentioned, another major inconvenience for me is that neither the Lake Shore or Cardinal have Superliner equipment anymore----so I am missing out on that if I much switch to the Lake Shore or Cardinal.

As I mentioned, it is simply not WORTH it to me. I would much rather over-nite in Chicago at my own expense rather that be switched to a different train in Chicago.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talkrr

The Lakeshore Limited has never, ever, had Superliner equipment. The small tunnels out east would not give such equipment clearance. They have either had heritage, budd, horizon or viewliner equipment.

I may be wrong here, but I thought the Capital was moved back because of the concern of running too many Amtrak trains at the same time on CSX trackage. It was an attempt to be more timely.

Have you ever flown and had your flight canceled for whatever reason? Have you ever driven somewhere and had your car break down? Unforseen events happen and I think traveling these days by whatever mode, has to be an exercise in patience and flexibility. Sometimes things are not going to go your way, even if it's guaranteed!

I say this again:"I hope the new President of Amtrak will take the time to meet with the Presidents of the various railroads on which it runs and find a way to run Amtrak trains more timely on their lines!"

Hey, I'm almost to 100!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jgart56, TALKrr was probably meant the Cardinal when he mentioned "anymore", despite what it actually says. The Cardinal lost Superliner equipment a couple of years ago after a couple of accidents reduced the number of Superliners in active service. Whether it had been planned all along and just pre-empted by the accidents, I don't know.

"I hope the new President of Amtrak will take the time to meet with the Presidents of the various railroads on which it runs and find a way to run Amtrak trains more timely on their lines!"

Easy to say, not so easy to do. Amtrak should have high priority, but sometimes acts like a local: it stops in the middle of nowhere, blocking a main line for 5-10 minutes for a station stop. Not enough sidings and too many trains means Amtrak just has to give way sometimes. Granted, BNSF appear to do a better job than UP - but are there factors which enable BNSF to do a better job, like more trackage, fewer trains, etc? Reading other threads would suggest that once the Sunset leaves New Orleans on time, UP do their best to get it to LA on time - and it appears to work. Conversely, if it leaves late, it's missed its slot and just gets later.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Sorry if I was mistaken about exactly why the Capitol's east-bound departure was moved up. The reason that I heard was related to the connections in DC for south-bound passengers.

I DO realize that inconveniences happen with any mode of transportation. In no way do I want to reflect negatively on Amtrak----I have over 100,000 rail miles yself and look for many more.

The major point I was trying to make was that I dislike the present , earlier departure time of the east-bound Capitol and that many passengers are inconvenienced (and will continue to be) on a daily basis.

The important thing I want to stress is that (even though it is an inconvenience for me) I would far rather over-nite in Chicago at my own expense rather than expect a same-day connection to the east-bound Capitol from a western train, anymore.

I have ridden both the Lake Shore and Cardinal east-bound. But to return to Pittsburgh, it simply makes sense to go with the Capitol.

To tell the truth, I always took the Three-Rivers east-bound back to Pittsburgh anyway. THAT is the train I REALLY miss.

In closing, when anyone asks whether or not I would recommend a same-day connection from the Chief, Builder or Zephyr to the east-bound Capitol I always say NO. In fact (and these may be "strong" words) I do not know why Amtrak even guarantees the connections in the first place. Again, in my opinion , there is MORE than a 50/50 chance the connections will be MISSED.

Nuff Sed.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page