RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » San Luis Obispo & Santa Barbara

Author Topic: San Luis Obispo & Santa Barbara
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now that you've all scared me into making another big train trip in the upcoming months, I'm going to do at least some of the California coast before maybe it's too late to get out there by train. And your good descriptions have convinced me to go to Santa Barbara as well as San Luis Obispo. But the hotels sure seem pricey, that I've found. The El Prado, which someone recommended here, isn't too bad pricewise, but it requires a 2 night stay if it's Friday you have to stay Saturday; if it's Saturday you have to stay Friday. This is a bit of a bummer! Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels in both cities in the downtown area? (remember, no car; though I can take one taxi, I want to be able to walk to restaurants etc) Thanks so much!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a 'hostel' 1 block from the SLO station that a lot of youths stay at. There is a travelodge on the south border of downtown that is about a 20 minute walk. There are several reasonably priced motels on North Monterey - SLO transit runs hourly from the Amtrak station, or the transfer center to lots of lines with 30 minute service is about a 10 minute walk. Make sure to do a thursday night in SLO with the downtown farmers market and the hordes of Poly student 'bodies'.
At Santa Barbara, most of the beach stuff is pricey but transit runs up and down state st right in front of the depot.

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, last year I stayed at the Madonna Inn in SLO. It's pricey, funkey, and very pink (an unusual color scheme for a motel outside of Nevada). It's not real close to the station, and doesn't seem to fit well with your criteria, but you might want to add it to your funkey hotel list for future reference. Details at:

www.madonnainn.com

Here's a couple of websites you might find useful in making travel plans. My favorite is: www.tripadvisor.com.

This site ranks hotels, lists attractions, and provides members' comments and reviews on both. It also has forums on various travel destinations.

Trainweb has www.railhotels.com that is more rail travel oriented. However, it only covers a small number of desinations. And guest reviews are limited. I'd like to see us rail warriors provide more useful information to the railhotels site.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About four years ago we discovered a delighftul historic hotel in Santa Barbara called The Upham Hotel . It wasn't cheap, but we did consider it very reasonable for the quality. It was technically a hotel with full hotel amenities, but felt more like a B&B.

We had originally been booked at a Motel 6 in Goleta, per my mother in law's suggestion. It was $90+ a night and was absolutely horrible. We bailed out the next morning and found the Upham. For about $60 more in one of their lower-end rooms we enjoyed pure luxury. Prices may be higher now, though. The Upham is about two blocks from the Arlington Theater, a major landmark (and must see) on State Street.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you'll find the two night weekend minimum a problem at most hotels/motels in the Santa Barbara Are. You might try the Hotel State Street (about 1/2 block from the station). It has mostly shared baths and may be more of what you are looking for. I was the one who mentioned El Prado. I'm sorry to hear that they are also requiring the minimum stay.

If you have any other questions I'll be happy to try and help.

Frank in rainy, cold SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you for your advice. It looks like a friend may be joining me in my travels for the California coastal route as she has to be in San Francisco on business and would enjoy the trip (well, I hope so! She's never taking long-distance trains before, so I sure hope the Coast Starlight isn't too too late that day). If that is the case, I will be able to afford a bit more for the hotel in Santa Barbara, as we'll be sharing--although I still don't know about the two night stay (we are still figuring out logistics). I am probably going to have to forgo the trips to Yellowstone and Yosemite, though, esp as I am hoping to come home on the Sunset Ltd instead of the SW Chief, since I've never been on the SL before. But I'll still be seeing plenty on the trip, and hopefully Amtrak will still be there next year so that I can still see more.

I have another question, re the Coast Starlight. Since we are taking the Coast Starlight only from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo and will spend our time mainly in the Observation Car, I don't see any point in getting a sleeper. But when is that wine and cheese party they have--3PM? 4? If the train is close to on time, we would be off by then, but if it's 2-3 hours late, as it all too often is, we would not. So my quesiton is: If we don't have a sleeper, can we pay cash and go to the wine and cheese tasting? Does anyone know?

Also a couple of questions re the Santa Barbara/LA area: Is the Pacific Surfliner between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles not-to-be-missed scenerywise, or will my friend have seen most of the best scenery taking the Coast Starlight to SLO and the Pacific Surfliner from there to Santa Barbara? Because my friend is thinkin it would be a lot easier for her to get to Los Angeles airport from Santa Barbara using the Santa Barbara Airbus shuttle, to ensure she makes her flight. If she takes the Surfliner with me (I am definitely taking it) she is worried it might be late, or might take too long to get from Union Station to the airport.

If we cannot find accommodations in Santa Barbara because of the 2-night rule and decide to stop on the train and then continue to LA and stay overnight, leaving the next morning, is that Days Inn near Union Station (which some of you have mentioned) a good place for two woman to stay? We are not really into "roughing it" too much (and I don't think my friend would like a hall bathroom except in a very small houselike B&B) but we are not looking for luxury either, just comfort and safety. Can we walk to Chinatown for dinner from there?

Thanks!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I had answered your questions but somehow my reply ended up in cyberspace. I don't believe you can pay to go to the wine and cheese tasting. It's not that big a deal but the parlour car (if you have a "real" one instead of a regular lounge car substitute) is. Very comfortable. Almost worth it for the two of you to spend the extra for a roomette. Remember that you would only pay once for the accomodation but would each need rail tickets.

There is some pretty spectacular scenery between SBA and Ventura but, with a couple of exceptions, not much from there into LAX. Taking the Airbus from SBA to LAX is a good way to make the trip, faster than the train, leff time, "door to door", but more expensive. The RED LINE/BLUE LINE/GREEN LINE/ SHUTTLE BUS from Union Station to LAX take about 1:15 and is a bit of a hassle with luggage. If your friend left from Burbank she could take the Surfliner and then fly from there. The Bob Hope Airport station is an easy ten minute walk from the Airport. I've done it several times. You just have to coordinate train and plane times.

The Days Inn looks OK to me and it has been recommended by people here but I've not stayed there. Easy walk to China Town. My favorite, but only for lunch, is Empress Pavillion. The selection of Dim Sum is incredible and reasonable. We have rarely hit $10.00! per person. Also, go to Philippe's at Ord and Alvarado. They claim to have invented the French Dip here. The lamb is still carved in front of you. Open 24 hours a day and I'd be they do a mean breakfast.

Back in Santa Barbara try a weekday breakfast (7-9AM ONLY) special at Moby Dick on the Wharf. the 2-2-2 is $2.22 Two eggs. two bacons, two pancakes. A locals favorite, it isn't on the menu.
The rest of the time, the menu is pretty ordinary. Also on the wharf is "Longboard's" upstairs from it much more expensive "sister", The Harbor. Peanut shells on the floor, kicked back atmoshere. Fish and Chip specials during the week and after 5PM on Sunday.

I hope this helps you out,

Frank in cool but sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page