RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Letter From Senator John McCain About

Author Topic: Letter From Senator John McCain About
passengertrainlover
Member # 3799

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for passengertrainlover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote him concerning the economical future of amtrak passenger train services. This is a Letter From Senator John McCain About Passenger train services & Saveamtrak.org that he sent me. Enjoy

http://members.cox.net/passengertrainlover/mc-cain.html

Posts: 12 | From: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did you waste the time to write this idealogue? His answer should make it clear that you wasted your time. Does the phrase "beating a dead horse" come to mind? He throws in the voodoo accounting done by Warrington as part of his reason for opposing what is being done now, and of course there is the usual $400 per passenger on the Sunset red herring. Why bother publishing what this guy is going to say? It is as predictible as sunrise. Asking him to understand and accept the idea of passenger railroading is like asking Karl Marx to understand and accept democracy and free enterprise.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always admired Sen. McCain for stating his positions openly, as opposed to telling people what they want to hear. But the stats he uses are chosen to support his opinion. You could also argue that the Southwest Chief brings tourist dollars to northern Arizona. How about comparing air and rail subsidies between LA and Flagstaff.

As for the $400/passenger figure for the Sunset, I have heard it also claimed that for all the passengers using intermediate points on the Sunset, it would cost them and the government much more to get there by any other way than rail.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
I have always admired Sen. McCain for stating his positions openly, but the stats he uses are chosen to support his opinion.

Mark Twain, I believe, once said that there are three kinds of liars....

liars

damn liars

and statisticians

The numbers can be selectively cited to support nearly any position one would wish.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the LD travelers consider the "trip" the major part of the vacation compared to time spent on site? While I enjoy the journals I'm kinda wondering what are the profile of the riders. Are they retiree's? students or teachers on summer or winter break? Perhaps many people who may only have a week vacation or so. If someone is taking a vacation in a place like Arizona might look to see how many rounds they could get in, or how many hikes in the desert or camping days or fishing days would they get in if they took a plane rather then the train. If the journey is going to be part of the vacation experience maybe then the rail industry needs a new plan for the Long Distance Trains
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner, you can't fault the rail industry because some people are in such a mad rush to get somewhere that they won't take time to enjoy the journey.

On the contrary, it seems a tragic fault in mankind that they are so eager to get somewhere that they would dispose of a system of transportation that is memorable and fun.

American passenger train travel will always be with us and there is no indication that they will get any faster in the next generation or so. What might happen, however, is that trains will gain a similar reputation as cruise ships and when that day arrives, they will no longer be affordable for the common man.

Recent discussions on this board suggest that train travel might not be as expensive as Sen. McCain might believe. Certain accounting irregularities have surfaced in our discourse and it seems likely that an entirely new examination of costs are in order.

So what if we are spending a billion dollars or so a year on train travel? Most of the long distance trains are running at full capacity and everybody has an opportunity to ride on them if they so desire.

In the meantime we spend hundreds of billions of dollars building airports, bailing out airlines and fighting a war over oil in Iraq.

I mean, who gives a crap about a mere billion dollars going to keep alive passenger train travel? Clearly the argument is not about trains. It's about distracting the American public from thinking about substantive matters.

By the way, passengertrainlover, you should be proud of yourself. That's a great website you've got there and it's gratifying to see you got Sen. McCain's attention.

--------------------
Please visit "Chucksville" at http://www.chucksville.com and sign my guestbook!

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the senator is so "put out" abput the tax payers money he should start with Congress. Those overseas jaunts with staff and spouse are tax payerrs money. Ditto all the "perks" congress provides for themselves. Oh yes what about all the pork barrel projects in all the bills like the transportation bill. And then there are the airlines,security ,airports, controlers etc. The busses are subsidized by taxes for the roads. One could go on and on and one day I may just call the man and ask these questions, I would also like to know when he last rode the train. Another point to consider is at how many small towns do the planes stop between LA and Tucson? All this simply confirms my feeling that this administration from top to bottom is a bunch of mental pygmys.Maybe that;s what happens when one lives so near DC
Tanner ,we feel that our vacation begins when we board the train. We can relax, enjoy the scenery,good food and new people.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in mccains defense, he was talking about widespread waste of taxpayer money throughout the govt yesterday on meet the press.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaJim:
in mccains defense, he was talking about widespread waste of taxpayer money throughout the govt yesterday on meet the press.

The odd thing is that I find much to like in what John McCain has to say. His position on Amtrak, which mirrors the standard far right position, is the only substantial disagreement I have with McCain.

I believe that the United States would be in much better shape on all other fronts today had McCain not been swindled out of the GOP's presidential nomination back in Y2K.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too agree with Sen. McCain on most issues he is probably the most reasonable senator from either party at this point, bu the is dead wrong on passenger rail.

I heard a rumor that his wife was hurt in an Amtrak wreck, is this true?

JP

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about that, however, at another forum a few years ago someone mentioned that she had been on a super-late train and was furious about it. I don't know if either rumor can be proven,however!
Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps she was on that poor train that was held up outside of Kansas, while they waited for John Kerry's campaign train caught up. Ha Ha. Hey what ever happend to that poor conductor who told the passangers why they where being delayed.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps she was on that poor train that was held up outside of Kansas, while they waited for John Kerry's campaign train caught up. Ha Ha. Hey what ever happend to that poor conductor who told the passangers why they where being delayed.

-----------------------------------

I dont know but i think he was running for some political office...

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page