RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » THIS IS CRAZY! HERE IS MY CUTBACK I GOT!

Author Topic: THIS IS CRAZY! HERE IS MY CUTBACK I GOT!
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a huge supporter of Amtrak. I have been on TV to promote them on the news. I only travel by train.

I got phone message yesterday:

DUE TO COST CUTTING MEASURES THERE WILL NO LONGER BE CHECKED BAGGAGE AT HOUSTON OR ELPASO! YOU CAN BRING 2 BAGS EACH UNDER 50 LBS.

Well I am going on Sunset next week to go SKI! And with 5 kids. How can I expect my 9 year old to carry 2 bags full of snow boots and ski bibs!?

Sadly I think my vacation days are soon to be over, and it looks like we will have to save up for a cruise, since I do not fly.

Amtrak did not cut the price of my tickets!

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Write your Congressman. While we all sympathize w/you, it's not going to do you any good to complain just here. And you're right not everyone wants much less CAN fly.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is unfortunate to see these kinds of things happening. I had a situation that was a bit related to your story:

About two years ago, I took the Sunset Limited from Tucson to Jacksonville. I wanted to take my trombone with me. I called Amtrak and they told me that it was fine to check it on the baggage car. Everything worked out well on the way there. I checked it without a problem.

When it was time to come home, I tried to check my trombone in Jacksonville. They said that I could not check musical instruments. They said I would have to check another one of my suitcases instead. But I had things I needed along the way in the suitcases. After a lot of arguing, they let me carry three bags on board with me instead of the usual two. I put my trombone in the lower level of my coach. I did not like that, because people could have broken into it, but I did have duct tape wrapped all around the case.

It made me angry that the Jacksonville station did not apply the same rules as when I called Amtrak's national phone number a month before to verify that it was OK to check my trombone.

Just another example of poor quality service that can always be expected rom Amtrak.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale) www.geocities.com/evrr

[This message has been edited by Konstantin (edited 03-03-2002).]

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cajon:
Write your Congressman. While we all sympathize w/you, it's not going to do you any good to complain just here. And you're right not everyone wants much less CAN fly.

There was a time when I would've loudly agreed with you, Cajon. Sadly, those days are gone. Since the move to dismantle parts of Amtrak started, I've sent COUNTLESS email and snail mail complaints to my congress-critters and to Boxer, Mica, McCain (that unconscious Amtrak-hater), and Dubya. I've gotten a smattering of non-answers, none of which addressed the heart of the problem.

I won't be writing anymore -- their minds are made up and the constituency apparently doesn't "see the real problem" (according to McCain, who wants to build an airport anyway). I see the real problem allright, and I'll let my vote do the talking. I can't BELIEVE I actually supported McCain for President.

Yummykaz (and anyone else who cares about long-distance rail): if you haven't visited this site yet, please take a look: http://www.saveamtrak.org/

The clock is ticking.

Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yummykaz, I'm from the west coast and always interested in visiting other parts of the country to ski. I was wondering where your ski trip was taking you and the kids since the stations you mentioned are Houston & El Paso? Thanks in advance.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorTex
Member # 1460

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for NorTex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yummikaz, I had the same question about where you were planning to ski, were you going to El Paso, then driving to Ruidoso, NM?

But this brings up one of my pet peeves. There is no train from DFW to Denver! Or Albuquerque! There would be huge interest from skiiers if such service was available. I understand BNSF does not want Amtrak on their very busy DFW to Denver route.

Posts: 12 | From: Bowie, Texas, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for disgusted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The things Amtrak expects people to put up with is truly mindboggling.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We take the train to El Paso. Rent a car from Avis ( as they are super kind and will pick you up at train station)( Hertz, Amtrak's "Partner" , was horrible to rent from).

We then drive to Cloudcroft and also we have gone to Ruidoso...Ski Apache.

Last week we mostly hung out in Cloudcroft and an area called the Upper Karr Canyon near there. Ruidoso had NO SNOW on the ground. Up on Ski Apache they did...but the drive up that mountain is too scarry.

My suggestion: take Road 44 off hwy 70 to Cloudcroft if you come from Ruidoso. It is breathtaking beautiful. It is Mescalero Reservation too...and all I could think is that the Native Americans have some amazing land!

There are very few places to eat in Cloudcroft though. The ski area was closed this year there because it was too hot.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page