TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Random Q's and Ob's

Author Topic: Random Q's and Ob's
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some random questions and observations:

Yesterday I noticed a sign in the Sacramento Amtrak station requesting applicants for volunteer "station host" positions. I saw a host in action, and he seemed very busy answering questions, directing traffic, and watching out for passengers' safety. Nice idea. Is this being done elsewhere?

Speaking of Sacramento, it has become a busy place. Back in the seventies, I believe only one train stopped there per day (the Zephyr; the Starlight used SP's west valley line and went through Davis). But now, with all the Corridor trains, it's hoppin'.

I rode the Starlight two weeks ago, and the Zephyr last week. Not many riders in either (coach or sleeper). On the Zephyr, no reservations needed for any meal, and the diner always had plenty of vacant seats. Probably just the time of year or my selection of travel days. But...

When I arrived at the Chico station to catch the CS, I was greeted by a sad sight. The Starlight was doing it's usual thing and was about five hours late. Being the Foamer, I knew to check with Julie on it's ETA. But not an older couple taking their first train trip. Their daughter had dropped them off an hour before the 1:55 am scheduled departure time (don't want to miss the train, Dear). And there they sat. Six hours huddled together on a bench outside a closed and locked-up station on a very cold and wet night. Shivering their way to joining the ranks of Fumers (the I'll never take the train again crowd).

The Fumers (they made a dash for the bathrooms) and I boarded the train. That's it. About a quarter million people (probably more) live within an hours drive of that station, and only three of us selected this means of "getting there" that night.

I like hanging out in the Lounge. Not to gab, but just observe and listen. Must be a bit of voyeur in me. Some of the eavesdropped conversations are fascinating and interesting, some are just dumb and dumber. Anyone else notice that those with the least to say, seem to have the most to say and say it the loudest?

Every time I called Julie the past couple of weeks, I got a salutory message to punch "1" if I wanted Capitol Corridor tickets (otherwise, hold for Julie). Is this the case across the land (i.e., does the message start this way in SoCal and outside California)? Anyone know why the Cap Corr trains set up their own ticketing center?

By the way, if ridership on the Zephyr and CS seemed low to me, boardings of the Corridor trains in Sacramento seemed very high.

That old orange fabric in the unrefurbished cars: does it give anyone else the urge to rummage around in their garage trying to locate those old paisley bell bottoms and tie-dyed T's?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The station volunteer program is the brainchild of a sweet lady from Emeryville named Doras Briggs. She started it at Emeryville and has tried to expand it elsewhere. I met Doras on the Zephyr in 2000, and we've been in touch on and off ever since. At the time she was a member of Amtrak's Customer Advisory Committee. She is on the board of NARP and is very active with Amtrak advocacy. She's also worked on improving relations with the host railroads. She puts in more time and energy to the effort than anyone I've ever seen, and she's well into her mid 80s.

Ridership on the Starlight is down this last year, primarily due to timekeeping problems, even whil LD ridership as a whole is up.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not get a message about punching 1 when I called 1-800-USA-RAIL.

I guess the lack of riders is seasonal. The Coast Starlight was quite busy in Sacramento when I took it northbound last August. The Zephyr was too. There were still seats in coach, but it was pretty busy. The observation cars were really hopping, esp between Denver and Glenwood Springs, between Reno and Sacramento, and around Mount Shasta/Klamath Falls.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have future contact with Doras Briggs, Mr. Toy, please pass along my compliments for her "station host" idea.

Sojourner, I was getting that punch "1" message in a land far, far away from NorCal (Utah). But come to think of it, I was using my cell phone, which has a NorCal prefix, which a clever computer ID'ed, which....Wow, ain't technology somethun'?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Zephyr, I can sympathise with you and the unfortunate elderly folk who had a long wait at Chico station in the middle of the night. [Frown] I have a story about my first overseas experience to visit friends by train on 1 April 1996. The North bound Coast Starlight was about 90 minutes late on that evening, so we arrived at Chico at around 3:00AM. In fact, it took longer to travel from LAX to Chico than it did to cross the Pacific from Melbourne, Australia to LAX.
My practical joker friend Greg, lived on a walnut orchard at Durham, nearby to Chico, had left his pick up truck at the station with a note on the windscreen saying 'cos the train was so late he had left the truck there and the keys would be hiding in a pre-arranged place and to drive to his house & everyone would greet me in the morning!!! [Eek!]
I had no idea where to drive to, not to mention never having driven on the wrong side of the road before. Though Chico is rather quiet in the wee small hours I was somewhat stressed about the situation. Anyways Greg gave me a few minutes to stress before coming out from behind some bushes to surprise me on April Fools day. [Roll Eyes]
Mike in Australia.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Great story, vline. You raise an important point: beware and be cautious if you travel on April 1st. As far as your practical joker friend, Greg: you gotta expect that type of behavior from anyone with a Chico or Durham zip code (for those unfamiliar with the area, the two towns are just a short bike ride apart along the old Sacramento Northern right of way). Especially someone living on a walnut orchard (walnuts and almonds are the big ag crops here abouts). To illustrate, the current best selling local "gift items" are T-shirts, coffee mugs, and whatevers that say "Chico...Where the Nuts Come From."
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Zephyr, I didn't realise that every time I rode my bike from Durham into Chico I was riding along part of the old Sacramento Northern(Electric railway) [Eek!] . Do you know of any links to a site regarding this railway that I have always wanted to learn more about?
As an aside, I twice took my now ancient bike to Chico to ride the "Wildflower 100" bike ride in '96 & '97. Yes I did complete both rides in those years.
Mike in Australia.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Vline, here's a good website on the Sacramento Northern:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/home.html

I've also biked and completed the "Wildflower Century." But I must disclose it was, as our Guvernator would say, the "Girlie Man" version (100 km vs the more manly 100 mile route). I also did it on a very ancient bike, which resulted in me having to put my butt in a lengthy rehab. But, it's a great event.

vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou muchly Zephyr [Big Grin] , I'm an engrossed in the information provided in the link you gave me. Again, thanks heaps.
Mike in Australia. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page