RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Starlate-Zephyr Connection

Author Topic: Starlate-Zephyr Connection
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son and I want to connect from the south-bound Starlate to the east-bound Zephyr---somewhere between Sacramento and Emeryville.

We do not want any "bus-titution."

Must we plan an over-nite to make the connection ?This is a possibility , but this adds yet another nite to an already very tight schedule. We must plan an over-nite in Chicago on the way back to Pittsburgh, also , because there is very little chance we can connect (same day)from the Zephyr to the Capitol.

Is anybody else as dismayed as I am that , today , there seem to be very few "safe" same-day connections possible between the long-distance trains. It seems not so long ago I never had to fret about such details.

Over-niting simply adds unnecessary expense to an already costly trip , as I always travel first-class. Hotel , meals and cab fare really add up.

I realize that if the connection is "guaranteed" , there is the possibility that over-nite expenses are paid by Amtrak. My major concern in situations like this is that my sleeping-car accomodations may not be available the next day , OR that I would be "forced" to use a different train. I simply do not want to take that chance anymore.

I HAVE connected from the south-bound Starlight to the east-bound Zephyr at least twice before. BUT, that was before these horrendous delays have become routine with the Starlight.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page