RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » WHAT'S A LAND CRUISE?

Author Topic: WHAT'S A LAND CRUISE?
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess, we're the object of derision. I suspect we're "land cruisers"; if that's a sin we're guilty. My bride and I can take a major airline from Boston to most any place in the world for a "pitance". We have, after more than 30 years with an airline "lifetime" term passes. We prefer to travel by train...and we pay the price.

I haven't calculated it yet, but I'm about to; the cost difference between the cost of space for a coach seat versus the cost of the space of a sleeper

We're in our late 60's and NEED the facilities afforded by sleepers. We've camped and "roughed" it most of our lives and now we want/need some
ammenities. We no longer can put up with the "loo" down the hall; we need one close at hand; if that's a "NO, NO", "SORRY".

But, and that's a big BUT, as much as we love to travel by train, the cost increases posted by AMTRAK are pushing us to an early summer trip to "the cape" rather than a two week trip to the coast and return.

Just watched a PBS program on the "California Zephyr", showing films similar to those we shot on DVD two years ago. We plan to retrace the CZ, this time from west to east...but AMTRAK fares are killing us.

So, I guess in response to my subject heading, we're "Land Cruisers", so shoot us...how else does AMTRAK make its numbers?

Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My definition of a land cruise is more like what is offered by American Orient Express. AOE has more in common with ship cruises than with Amtrak, in that it is a tour of scenic sites both on board the train and through guided group excursions off the train at various points along the route. The goal is not getting somewhere, it is strictly for seeing stuff.

Just out of curiousity, I priced an Amtrak bedroom for two from Emeryville to Chicago against one of AOE's tours, then broke it down to cost per day. AOE's cheapest room for two, with private toilet and access to a public shower, cost about $235 more per day than an Amtrak bedroom for two. For a shower in the room AOE is $635 more per day than Amtrak. (Your comparisons may vary, this was just one example. Should you try it yourself, note that AOE's website shows fares per person, not per room. Amtrak shows fares based on the number of people traveling.)

So Amtrak isn't charging "land cruise" prices. But an equally important question is whether Amtrak's prices are competitive with other regularly scheduled transportation modes, since that is Amtrak's function. For fairness, I think one should compare first class airfares against Bedrooms, and coach air fares against Roomettes. But I don't have time to do that tonight. It might be interesting to look up, if someone else is bored.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page