RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak engines

Author Topic: Amtrak engines
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the sunset limited, why does Amtrak uses 2 engines when 1 engine is strong enough and would save on fuel cost?
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Provide electricity for the cars?

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To avoid a stranded train in the event of an engine failure?

There are lots of remote places along that route where a train stranded without air-conditioning would be a very bad thing very quickly.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has a power surplus and it's smarter to have two locos instead of one.

Many of my Desert Wind trips were cut short because the single F40 died. Some times the HEP worked but we needed a freight helper for motive power, and with the freight gearing we could never get up to track speed. And if you think UP is bad to Amtrak now, imagine back then how long it took them to send helper locos. One trip took close to six hours just to get a helper loco!

So one loco is never a good idea.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I thought it was for in case an engine die. However before Katrina and Rita, didn't sunset use single engine east of New Orleans?
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another reason to have two engines is the acceleration. Two engines make it easier to speed up when leaving the station.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that 1 locomotive would handle the train. Beaumont Hill is a grade to be reckoned with. There are also grades through Arizona and into Texas. You don't want to make this train any later than it already is.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
Yeah I thought it was for in case an engine die. However before Katrina and Rita, didn't sunset use single engine east of New Orleans?

Yes they did. I think that's because there weren't any significant grades between Orlando and New Orleans.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:
I doubt that 1 locomotive would handle the train. Beaumont Hill is a grade to be reckoned with. There are also grades through Arizona and into Texas. You don't want to make this train any later than it already is.

I agree with your latter point, but surely 1x 4000hp+ engine ought to be able to pull 9-10 cars (let's say 600 tons) up a 2% grade without breaking too much of a sweat? Our toy trains in the UK do that, and we have much smaller engines!

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being neither an electrician nor an engineer and being more than willing to be corrected:

I think it has something to do with the fact that one locomotive would be providing both the electricity for the entire train as well as the tractive effort. I would imagine that providing the HEP lessens the tractive effort somehow? Am I on the right track here or am I way off?

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Is it possible for 1 engine to power the coaches and 1 to power the trucks. I was just thinking of ways to cut fuel use and cost.
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jgart56:
Being neither an electrician nor an engineer and being more than willing to be corrected:

I think it has something to do with the fact that one locomotive would be providing both the electricity for the entire train as well as the tractive effort. I would imagine that providing the HEP lessens the tractive effort somehow? Am I on the right track here or am I way off?

You're on the right track! A certain amount of available horsepower (HP) is 'stolen' when the HEP is engaged. There have been occasions, such as engine failure on a unit, when the crew turns off the HEP to gain more HP out of their remaining unit(s), especially on steep grades, or to maintain schedule.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Here is a good explanation.

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/003/080jnkyi.asp

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page