RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What's a "Tray Meal"...ad nauseam

Author Topic: What's a "Tray Meal"...ad nauseam
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize I'm flogging a dead horse; but her I go AGAIN.

2004:BOS/CHI/EMY/LAX/CHI/BOS, all Bedroom accommodations:$3,800. +/- a couple of bucks.
Booked in February, 2004

2005:BOS/PHL/NOL/LAX/SEA/CHI/ALB/BOS,all Bedroom
accomodations except BOS/PHL, F/C & ALB/BOS B/C:
$3,600. +/- maybe more than a "couple" of bucks.
Booked in August, 2004

2006:BOS/WAS/CHI/SEA/EMY/CHI/WAS/BOS,all Bedroom*
accomdations except BOS/WAS/BOS, F/C Acela:
$5,277.40 "exact"
Priced in December 2005 and January 2006

Please note the * on the Bedroom accomodations for 2006. Rereading the Amenities shown in the Amtrak schedule all except train #50 CHI/WAS indicate Dining Car; train #50 indicates "Tray Meal" whatever that is.

We're experiencing a great deal of anxiety over the expense of this years planned trip and now to see that in addition to raising the water (fares) they're lowering the bridge (service).

I think I'll start "playing" the Lottery; maybe I'll get lucky.

Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to the lack of a full service diner on the Cardinal, these meals are the substitute. They are meals which are perpared off the train, and then re-heated while aboard. They are for the first class passengers.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you check other dates around which you want to travel? A day's difference can change the price by a few hundred dollars. This is because fares are set by how booked that particular train is when you make your reservation.

The Cardinal hasn't had a diner in a while-over a year. I remember reading this was because of stricter food service/handling sanitary requirements. They couldn't get a diner turned around quick enough with the new laws, so the Cardinal lost its diner.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page