RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SWC question

Author Topic: SWC question
Amtrak Rookie
Member # 4251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Rookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone. Looking for some information on the Southwest Chief. Taking the family out to Arizona in a month or so and wanted to know if they had newer equipment on the SWC or if it is older.
Any other suggestions or comments would be welcome also.
Thanks

Posts: 13 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I saw the Chief go through Lamy, it looked like the same old equipment to me. But I may be wrong on that.

I'm familiar with the Chief from Raton, New Mexico, to Los Angeles. There isn't much rail traffic from Trinidad, Colorado, to Albuquerque, but after you get on the mainline west of Albuquerque, you'll see lots of freights. You'll pass the eastbound Chief near Lamy, New Mexico, depending on how things are running. You can get off in Albuquerque and walk around a bit. There's an ice cream place across the street from the station. Turn to your right--it's before you get to Central Avenue. You can visit Cheryl's Busstore or browse the Indian jewelers' wares at the station.

From Albuquerque to Gallup, New Mexico, the track goes through several reservations. Sometimes a Indian guide rides the train to Gallup and gives a talk and plays a couple of videos. After Gallup it will be too dark to see much and you'll be pretty tired by the time you get to Flagstaff, Arizona.

Have a fun trip.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Rookie
Member # 4251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Rookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kiernan. Look forward to the trip back seeing the sites from Flagstaff to Colorado.
Posts: 13 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my SWC trip a month ago I happened to get a refurbished sleeper that was very nice. On the way back it was a Superliner II. Even though the SWC can have a variety of equipment versions/ages, I have always found it to be in fairly good shape.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the avacado sinks have been resurfaced with a more contemporary look, but basically it's the same ol' Superliners. God bless 'em.

p.s. If you head down Central a bit you'll find a wealth of authentic Indian goods at Maisels. Better take a cab if you have the time. Train won't wait for you.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent train, amazing scenery. I've never experienced any major mechanical issues with the equipment, and it seems to be running with several refurb. cars.
The only major problems I've seen are bad-order cars occasionaly being set out. This seems to usually be diners, and usually in Albuquerque. Kind of a wierd phenomenon.
But, have an awesome trip!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chief has been getting refurbished coaches lately (in IVb paint), but the sleepers seem to be the same old mix it’s been for the last few years.

Usually there will be one Superliner I sleeper, and one Superliner II sleeper. But remember I said usually and can really be any combination.

Of what I've seen the Superliner I sleepers used on the Chief are almost always semi refurbished cars. Meaning they have newer upholstery and some new walls (like the infamous waffle siding) and not much else. The Superliner II sleepers on the Chief have typically not been refurbished.

The Diners on the Chief are almost always Superliner II's. I can't seem to figure out why but it is almost always this way.

The Lounges used to almost always be Superliner II's a few years ago, but now older Superliner I lounges seem to be the norm, and many have never been refurbished, although they often wear IVb paint.

The Transition Dorms are typically recently refurbished cars and wear IVb paint.

But again this train’s consist can really change from day to day. Typically the consist changes are made more so in Chicago then LA. Of the train consists I've tracked over 92% of the consist changes occured Chicago and not Los Angeles, and part of this seems to be because the same train consist is used for the Capitol Limited.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your trip on a very classy and fast train.....which happens to be my favorite [Big Grin]

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I much prefer the Superliner I lounge. The downstairs has a much better table arrangement that was designed before wheelchair accessibility was an issue. (I'm still trying to figure out how one gets a wheelchair there in the first place.)

And the splash of color on the ceiling, reminiscent of the pre-Superliner lounges, gives it a warmth the Superliner II lounge lacks.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It used to be that "premier" trains like the Coast Starlight would get exclusively Superliner II equipment. This is usually not the case any more. They will use anything in the yard that isn't bad-ordered. So you have a 50/50 chance.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, a disabled passenger can request to be transferred to/from the lounge car by a train attendant at a station stop. They take the passenger out of their regular car, and put them in the lounge through the vestibule doors.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page