RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Interesting news day

Author Topic: Interesting news day
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, Senator Hollings introduced a bill to fund Amtrak. Details here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44607-2002Mar5.html

And this just in my AOL news mailbox within the last couple of hours: George Warrington will resign to head New Jersey's rail/transit department. He will remain at Amtrak during the transition to a new president.

I vote for James Coston to replace him.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for disgusted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let the door hit ya George!
Posts: 49 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the best news I have had in a long time. Bye Bye George!
Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm fairly new here and to this issue, I wonder if someone could give me a brief overview about George. It appears that you folks think that his departure would be a good thing. I don't know enough about the issues to have formed an opinion.

Thanks,

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disgusted
Member # 1373

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for disgusted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an employee when Warrington took over I thought he was a breath of fresh air. He talked about giving the employees the right to make a decision to keep the passengers happy, this is one thing in which he kept his word. He talked about having a 5 year plan to get us off of federal money. Over the last 3 years all we've heard was "yep were getting there, due to your hard work", "the GLIDE PATH is working", "business is great, keep up the good work", then early last year it was "we've got to get spending under control", then it started sinking from there, and we haven't heard a thing from him. Over the last 3 years, I have been sent to Chicago 4 times for training, everyone has, this is not a cheap undertaking, money seemed like it was coming out of the walls. Now you see where it has all gotten us. Job cuts, job worries, train cuts, and reduced services.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's unclear that the Bush Administration will move quickly to appoint a permanent replacement; this matter simply doesn't have high priority with the focus on Afghanistan at the moment.

Warrington said he would stay until an interim replacement is found, but not until a permanent replacement is appointed.

The next few months will be critical for Amtrak. The lack of leadership will create problems during difficult times.

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the president of Amtrak appointed by the President of the United States or Amtrak's bored of directors?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Bush would probably pick McCain, so I hope John Smith decides.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page