RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » VIA Canadian

Author Topic: VIA Canadian
zeus
Member # 4268

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is kind of not Amtrak, but has anyone been on the Canadian that runs thrice a week from Toronto and Vancouver?

I am visiting US/Canada in summer 07 and plan on travelling on it. A few years ago I travelled on the Indian Pacific in Australia, from the Pacific to the Indian oceans. As coach class was the only class I could afford, it was a truly horrible experience. Neck pain throughout, and what food service there was consisted of overpriced, watery gruel. In the meantime the first-class sleeping class passengers had their own inclusive restaurant with gourmet fare fitting of their horrendous ($1500+) price tag.

This time round I will be saving my dimes and hopefully going on Silver and Blue. All the reviews on sleeper class on that train have been excellent. I don't know about coach class though, it would be interesting to see whether anyone here has travelled on it and hear what they have to say.

--------------------
Make the most of it before Amtrak dies.

Posts: 10 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zeus - not off topic at all. This is a passenger rail forum, and even though it is labeled "AMTRAK," there has been quite a bit of discussion about VIA also, and we do have several Canadian members of this group, as well as VIA fans.

Yes I have ridden on the Canadian, and the "Silver and Blue" (1st class) service is superb!! Much better than anything on AMTRAK! I rode the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver in 1999 and was in a roomette (see my 1999 travelogue in another section of Train Web). The meals on the Canadian are excellent, and much more varied than the standardized AMTRAK menus. At least in the summer, for every 4-5 sleeping cars, there is a dome car which has a diner in the lower level and a dome on top, and its own service attendant. The service attendant serves juice and coffee in the morning, hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon, and also acts as bartender and dining car steward. When I rode, it was over Canada Day (July 1), and our attendatnt even gave everyone in the dome complimentary champagne (A LOT of it, I might add!). The VIA equipment is generally in better shape than much of the AMTRAK equipment, and the ride is superb! Very pretty and scenic!!

By all means, plan a trip on the Canadian in your itinerary!! Have a great trip!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've ridden the Canadian times and I enjoyed them all. To read my trips go to

http:///wwww.trainweb.org/chris

Enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rode the 'Canadian' Vancouver to Winnipeg in April 2004. Service were supurb and meals were tremendous. We had five meals on board and never saw a menu item repeated.

Outshone Amtrak's 'Coast Starlight' and 'Auto-Train' hands down.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the coaches on the Canadian are quite comfortable - for travelling on a short day trip - I would not recommend them, or any other coach for that matter, for an overnight trip.

It is not always necessary to take out a mortgage to ride Silver and Blue Class. Unless you must travel in summer, there is a significant discount in the off-season, which is Oct. 22 to May 31. The cheaper of the off-peak sleeper fares apply to space booked at least five days in advance. There is no "yield management" used for sleeper fares. If it is the off-season and you book in advance you get the lower fare. A Canrailpass or North American Rail Pass can save a lot if you are travelling enough to make it worthwhile.

I highly recommend travelling in the off-season for a reason other than the fare difference: the length of the train. A long train is very impressive, but it is quite crowded even though there are extra dome cars operated. In winter, the Canadian is about nine cars, three of which are sleepers - well three and a half if you count the Park car. The usual minimum summer consist is 22 cars, 12 and a half being sleepers. There will be two first class diners during the peak season. Occasionally the train runs to 30 cars, with 20 sleepers and three diners. Coach passengers may, if space is available, eat in the diners during the peak season, but there is diner service complete with tablecloths in the coach (called Comfort Class) Skyline car. In the off-season the Skyline car dining room is not normally used unless it gets busy, such as around Christmas. The long trains start by the end of April. The weather in most of Canada is quite lovely in May and, with the lower fares, there are some really long consists then. The peak fares are charged through most of October because of the attraction of fall colours.

Upper or lower berths are an economical alternative to the pricey rooms; all Silver and Blue amenities are included whether you book am upper berth or a drawing room. Dining car menus change every day, with seven completely different dinner menus needed for the round trip (there is an extra dinner eastbound over westbound.)

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past three years I've averaged about two trips per year on the Canadian - all have been superb and all have been in Silver and Blue Class. I've only travelled the route once as a single traveller and booked a roomette. It was quite comfortable. Course they still have the old-fashioned berths (curtains and all) on this train's sleeper pool.

I would definitely recommend booking Silver and Blue. Earlier the book the better, and there is off season pricing, but even all considered, it is a pretty good chunk of change to part with.

Visit www.viarail.ca for more information on VIA's Canadian and accommodations. They have some really good pictures and service descriptions.

I personally, wouldn't even think of making this trip from Toronto to Vancouver all the way in coach. But I know people do it! I need a bed at night. The beds on the Canadian I have found to be very comfortable - more comfortable than Amtrak's beds in a sleeper.

If you chose a "berth," I think the upper berth seems to be more popular. There's four types of sleeper accommodations on VIA Rail's Canadian:
a) Berth
b) Roomette
c) Double Bedroom
d) Triple Bedroom

Triple bedroom is really nice, but price is only really worth it if you have two to three travellers in the room!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeneRoy
Member # 2500

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GeneRoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also planning a trip on the Canadian in '07, and I have a few questions>>>

Which is the best trip - Tornoto/Vancouver, or Vancouver/Toronto? What side of the train - or is that an issue with the dome cars? Any thoughts on the best time of year? It looks like summer is out, so thoughts on the season - fall, winter or spring?

Posts: 2 | From: Chicago IL US | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are considering a trip on "The Ocean" from Montreal to Halifax, most likely in late September/early October. Anybody done this or have suggestions?

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I have
Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don t know what happened there..Let me start again I have taken the Ocean to Halifax. It is a wonderful trip. I did in coach,though. The scenery is incredible. You travel in Quebec for a long portion of the trip and the French atmosphere is quite nice. Thereis a Westin hotel very close to the station. The ocean leaves at 6:30PM from Montreal and arrives the next afternoon.

Ive been on the Canadien earlier this year in an upper berh. it was the greatest train trip I ever took and Ive taken dozens of crosscountry Amtrak trps.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Canadian is by far the best train I have ever been on. Try to book a room in a sleeper right ahead of the "Park" car (the reservation agent will understand). This will give you a short walk to the dome/observation/lounge car. The roomettes and bedrooms on this train are wonderful. The open sections are good for saving money but lack privacy and you cannot retreat there during the day for a nap. Either side is fine for viewing from the dome. There are lakes everywhere on the eastern section of the trip across Ontario and lots of interesting small towns with grain elevators in the middle part of the trip. The western end features beautiful mountains throughout the last full day. I like the left (south) side heading west the best for mountain and lake viewing in the Rockies but either side will be fine. Personally I like westbound best as you build up to the mountains rather than hitting the best scenery first. If your wallet can stand it, stay at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto...first class all the way!
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ocean is a nice trip though I haven't been on it since the new equipment has been added. The Chaleur is my favorite ride in Maritime Canada as it travels a super scenic route and is very low key.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank,
I took the Ocean westbound a few years ago with good success. It wasn't crowded in April and the food was particularly enjoyable. Try to spend some time in Halifax if you can. It's a nice small town to walk in and has some interesting history. Also, consider whether you want to end up in Montreal or Halifax (do you want to go east or west). This is a function of where you go from there. I'm taking the Ocean next month from Quebec City to Halifax and have discovered that you cannot go from Halifax to Bar Harbor, ME on Friday in August. You have to go all the way down to Portland and take a bus back east.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page