RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Flagstaff rental cars

Author Topic: Flagstaff rental cars
Amtrak Rookie
Member # 4251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Rookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody ever had to get a rental car in Flagstaff after getting of the SWC? I understand Hertz has a place at the train station but is someone there when the SWC arrives? Thanks.
Posts: 13 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the southwest chief to Los Angeles from Albuquerque and when I briefly got off in Flagstaff in search of an ATM (which they dont have) I did see a Hertz sign inside the station and what seemed to be an agent.

I would reccomend you giving them a call:
(928) 774-8679

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Flagstaff Visitor Center is located right in the Amtrak station too; they have a toll-free number, 800-842-7293.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rented cars from Hertz several times coming from the east at Flagstaff. It was very convenient. The agent meets the train even if late. By pre-registering, it was only a matter of minutes before I was on my way.

You have to call the local Hertz office at 928-226-0120 to arrange for the depot pickup. The website will tell you the location is not open at train time, but that is because they only meet the trains when people have reserved a car. You can make a res online using times within published hours, then make the arrangements with the local office for pickup at train time.

Cars are parked just yards from the depot in the lot. They have always been Mazda, which is a personal favorite. The price may be higher than a major city, upwards of $45/day or $200/week. At train departure, you can park at the depot and drop your contract and key in a box. Many local motels have depot pickup/drop-off if that saves you a day on the car rental.

Here is the info from the Hertz website:

Downtown Amtrak HLE
1 East Santa Fe Avenue Flagstaff , Arizona US
Phone: 928-226-0120 Fax: 928-226-0138
Hours of Operation: Mo-Sa 0700-1700, Su 0900-1600
Additional Information:
After Hours - Meets all scheduled Amtrak arrivals. After hour returns are allowed. Park car in Hertz area, place keys and rental record in Hertz Express Return Box located on the wall by the Hertz rental counter inside station. Train station hours are 0415-2245 7 days.
Special Services at this Location:

* Child Seats
* Hand Controls

Insurance Replacement:

Insurance Replacement rentals available at this location. Contact the location directly for reservations.
* NeverLost
* Gold Customer Service

Pickup/Return Service:

Available with a one hour advance notice and within 15 minutes from the Hertz Local Edition location. Contact the location to arrange for Pick Up service.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twin Star - thanks for the Flagstaff info. My wife and I are tentatively planning a western train/car trip for this summer, in which we will be getting a rental car further north, but dropping it off at Flagstaff for our return trip to Fla.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Rookie
Member # 4251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Rookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone. You are a great help.
Posts: 13 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page