RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Route Highlights

Author Topic: Route Highlights
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be taking a trip this summer starting at Boston, MA, switching to the Capital at DC, then going to Chicago. What scenic highlights should i look for? I've heard of a few but wanted to know more. I'm also a big fan of Amtrak rail yards so, would i be able to see them from the train or maybe walk to them while i'm laying over for a couple hours? Anything will be helpful, thanks.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the good scenery on the Capitol Ltd route is between Washington DC and Pittsburgh, and going westbound, some of that will be after dark, depending on how close to schedule the train is. Since you are going in the summer, it will be light a little later in the evening, so you will see more. Of course, crossing the Potomac River into Harpers Ferry is always a scenic highlight, and you will go through there during daylight hours. The route follows the Potomac, Casselman, and Youghiogheny Rivers, but your view of the rivers will likely be obstructed by dense vegetation in many places during the summer.

You'll see a few rail yards on your trip, but I would NOT recommend walking through them.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trainweb.com/routes/

Page has index of Train route guides. I have printed several of these for past trips and found them quite good.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree; Harpers Ferry is the highlight of a very pleasant trip until dark on the first day of the Capitol Ltd. I haven't been on the NY-Boston leg of the NE corridor in a long time, but you should sit on the left side facing forward to glimpse any views there may be of the LI Sound and also to see the view of Manhattan as you come out of the Hudson River tunnel on the New Jersey side, various interesting (though not pretty!) views of "Ironbound" Newark etc; and the best views of Philadelphia boathouses and downtown (although, as you cross the river by Trenton, do look out the left to see the bridge, with the Trenton Makes the World Takes sign etc). There are also a couple of very lovely water views as you leave Delaware for Maryland and within Maryland. However, by and large, the trip from NYC to DC is not super scenic.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two books that are quite good for route guides. USA BY RAIL AND RAIL VENTURES.You could probably get them at your local library. Last summer going south I just photocopied the pages I wanted and took it along . They both go town by town and there is something interesting in just about every place. If you are going sleeper on the Capital and get Larry as your car attendent he gives a lot of "what to look for" as he knows the history of the various areas..such as the burial place of F Scott Fitzgerald.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the two books train lady mentioned are great to take with you. I own both books. I make extra copies to share with other passengers. First time riders seem to appreciate the information.
Car attendent, Larry, on the Capital is one of the best.

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like these books just to browse through occasionally. USA BY RAIL has a good section for the foreign visitor. There are many good car attendents but in my opinion no one comes close to Larry. He is on car 2900/3000 so I always ask for that car. He always remembers our likes, dislikes and needs. He always has a smile and goes out of his way for all his passengers. He has a way of calming the irrate and keeping situation that may arrise under control/ He has a real empathy for people
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I too have a "Rail Ventures" book -- I don't believe there have been any updates to it in the last 5 years or so. Did I read somewhere that the author of that fine book died recently?

Anyway, I use the info in that book for my "narrative railroad log" guides I have put together for many AMTRAK routes, as well as many other soucres of local historical, cultural, scenic, tourist, and geological information.

Before anyone asks -- no, my railroad guides have NOT yet been published, put on a web site, or in any way made available to other people. Maybe some day.........

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page