RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » S. 1516 DEAD???

Author Topic: S. 1516 DEAD???
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted here in a little while, but I was just wondering whether it is too late for S. 1516 to be revived...or if a similar bill is likely to ever take effect.

What is the likely hood or S.1516 or similar to be passed?

Jon Parker

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which one is that, and Which wreck was it in, was it bad?

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While S 1516 was deleted from passage during the last session, the bill is not dead. It still exists as stand-alone legislation, and doesn't "die" until the end of the session. It is still possible to encourage Our Elected Representatives to pass this bill. Some members of Congress are out in their districts, so now is the oportuinity to contact them and let them know that passenger rail should be supported. Some members will be having "open houses," where their voters can voice support for one issue or another. I would make certain to go to the NARP website, and read up on the "Amtrak Myths" portion, in order to have some rebuttals ready with which to counter the remarks that you will recieve from others when voicing support for passenger rail. Also see the Harris Poll listed elsewhere on this and other Fora.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
CG96: Sorry for the duplicate answer; looks like I left my reply window open too long before clicking "Submit"...
stupid work distractions!!

S.1516 (S. 109-1516) is the Senate's Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2005. It was the legislation that was attached to a major budget resolution last November on an astoundingly pro-rail vote of 93-6!

The "wreck" it was in was the conference committee meeting that followed, where the main bill (S. 109-1932) was reconciled with its House of Representatives counterpart. Apparently, during the back-and-forth, the Amtrak funding amendment got dropped in the shuffle (or, more likely, negotiated out).

However, according to the National Association of Railroad Passengers, "it is important to note that S. 1516 still exists as stand alone legislation and may be considered in the New Year!"

Visit NARP's Action Alert Page for information on how you can contact your Members of Congress.

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also important to know that there are a few lawmakers who consider Amtrak Funding a priority, as noted on Senator Lott's Website

If you go there and look in the issues column on the Main page, amtrak funding is clearly stated, yes I know this is an alphabetical list, but it is nice to know that one of the authors of this bill still has interest in it

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
opps- Thought you guy were talking about a Superliner!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page