RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » power on train

Author Topic: power on train
sideout1961
Member # 1297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sideout1961     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there somewhere on the train that you can get power to charge batteries for say a laptop or other portable devices. I was looking to take something for my trip from Mass to Calif.
Posts: 15 | From: Holyoke, Ma. ,Usa | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on your luck. If you're traveling coach, just cross your fingers that you are assigned to a "refurbished" car. This type of car features electrical outlets at each seat, and is pretty comfortable!

Maybe someone can shed some light on how to tell the difference between a refurbished car and a non-refurbished car. Since you're traveling far, you should ask an attendant if you can move to a car or a seat that has a plug for your use.

~Chris

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Refurbished Superliners will probably have newer exterior silver paint with the PH. IV striping (broad blue stripe and smaller red and white stripes). The interior of the cars are "brighter" than the unrefurbished cars. They will have grayish seats and curtains (compared with the orange-red of the unrefurbished cars), and maybe new carpeting, along with some smaller changes.
I was in one of these coaches last February, but didn't see outlets. You should take F40PHR231's advice, and ask the attendants if an outlet is available. Have a great trip!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go in a sleeper, the power outlets in the rooms are generally reliable on Superliners and Viewliners. I take long trips by AMTRAK every couple years, and have a camcorder in which the batteries always need recharging, and I have not yet been unable to charge my batteries in the power outlets in my rooms. On the rare occasion when the power outlets don't work, ask your car attendant and he (or she)can probably find you a room in which the power works.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the observation car there is an outlet in the wall next to the stairs to the lounge in the aisle. Don't trip anybody.

------------------
brad

Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really is hit or miss with the electrical plugs in the single level Amfleet cars. If you are going coach, try to get in the cars with the blue seats. If you are leaving from Boston, you probably will have an assigned coach, but not an assigned seat. Since you will be going all the way to Chicago, they usually put the long distance passengers in the more comfortable, newer coaches.
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LSL- no promises there. Lately they've been hauling out the phase 3 cars to handle demand. The train I saw two nights ago had three nonrefurbished cars and only one blue bomb. This is an improvement over the pair of Horizon cars in that particular trainset a week ago.
By the way, the non-overhauled amfleet cars have a power outlet at the center of the car on the wall, down low. This may or may not be beside a seat, depending on which way it is turned. They use these to plug in a vacuum cleaner and other equipment during servicing. If you can grab a seat near the midpoint of the car, it's yours.
Not to mention the better ride and visibility, lack of vestibule and bathroom noise, and other advantages of riding in the middle of the coach.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page