RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Orleans Station

Author Topic: New Orleans Station
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am ticketed on the Sunset later this year from LAX to NOL and then I am taking the Crescent into New York..sleeper on both legs.

#2 is usually late getting into New Orleans and the Crescent leaves early the next mornng. Is the Magnolia Room(I think thats what it is called)open all night? I really don t want to spend the extra money on a hotel for that short time, and I plan to spend the evening seeing New Orleans, if it arrives on time or close to it.

Thanks in advance. I still love doing the LD trains. The price of the sleeper for September for both trains is quite reasonable. I checked the Southwest Chief and the Capitol Limited and the price was $450 more for a sleeper from LA to NY. I really don t mind the overnight layover in New Orleans to save that much money.

I had planned to take the Sunset from Jacksonville to LA with a stopover in New Orleans the day before Katrina hit. I just missed probably the last ever Orlando-LA run of train #1.I wonder if it will ever extend east of New Orleans again.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I was there, they close it-not only at night, but between trains.

That was before Katrina hit, however. Last I heard the New Orleans Police was using the Magnolia Room as a police substation while things get back to normal.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page