RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rental cars at Izaak Walton Inn?

Author Topic: Rental cars at Izaak Walton Inn?
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit off-topic, but my wife and I are tentatively planning a western rail trip for this summer -- we would take the Silver Service, Capitol Ltd, then the EB to Essex and stay at the Izaak Walton Inn for a few days, then we would like to rent a car, drive south and visit a few other places, then come back to Fla. on the SW Chief, Cardinal, and Silver Service.

Does anyone know if rental cars are available or can be arranged at the Izaak Walton Inn? (please don't refer me to the IWI web site -- I already have that bookmarked!!) Thanks--

Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I booked my rental car right through the Inn itself when I stayed there and it worked really well.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IWI has rental cars, but I am not certain if the cars they have on site can be used on a one-way rental. You might want to give IWI a call and ask more questions: what rental agency supplies the cars? do you need to get a special car for one-way? Charges? etc. Anything is possible for the $$$. You might also inquire if you could get a better rate by proceeding west (after your IWI stay) on Amtrak to Whitefish & picking up a car there instead. It would probably require an overnight in Whitefish to do that, due to the EB schedule. Also most of the majors (Hertz, Budget, etc) will pick you up (within a reasonable distance) - not just Enterprise.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I stayed for three nights at the Izaak Walton in 1998 (hard to believe it's been that many years ago already) and then caught the EB another hour or so west to Whitefish where we had a Hertz rental car reserved. We were able to pick the car up at the train station there and the rates for the rental were a little cheaper in Whitefish.

But that was nearly 8 years ago now.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page