RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans Menus

Author Topic: Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans Menus
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting Amtrak.

Please note that our Texas Eagle Trains and also the City of New Orleans Trains are both using the Light Menu
selections in their Dining Cars. We are enclosing what
is being currently offered under this program and may change without advance notice:

Breakfast - Trains 21, 59, 421
Western Omelet, Pork Sausage, Breakfast Potatoes .... 10.00
Southwestern Quiche With Corned Beef Hash ........... 10.00
French Toast, Syrup, Ham Steak ...................... 10.00
Rice Krispies, Raisin Bran Crunch Or Corn Flakes;
Cut Fruit, Croissant, Yogurt (Strawberry Or Blueberry) .. 6.75

Included: Coffee, Tea Or Milk, And Juice (Orange,
Apple Or Cranberry).

Lunch - Trains 21, 59, 421

Angus Cheeseburger, Chips, Pickle Spear ............. 7.00
Sandwich (Server Will Describe), Chips, Pickle ...... 7.25
Barbecue Chicken, Potato Wedges, Corn, Salad ........ 12.00
Add Hot Soup (Minestrone Or Chicken Noodle) ......... 4.00

Included: Coffee, Tea Or Milk.

Dinner - Trains 21, 59, 421
Braised Beef, Mashed Redskin Potatoes, Carrots ...... 18.00
Chicken Parmesan, Roast Potatoes, Green Beans ....... 17.50
Basil/Thyme Cod Fillets, Rice Pilaf, Bean Medley .... 16.50
Cheese Tortellini, Alfredo Sauce, Broccoli .......... 11.00
Evening Special - Server Will Describe .............. 12.50

Included: Coffee, Tea Or Milk; Green Salad; Roll, Butter.

These trains serve preplated meals in the dining car.
Although the meals are prepared off the train, they are
Served on china. Beverages are in china cups or in
Glasses, and regular stainless steel flatware is used.
Cloth napkins are provided, and there are tablecloths.

We hope this information is of assistance for you.

Sincerely,
William
Amtrak Customer Service

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that Amtrak doesn't need this administration to "shoot them in the foot". They are doing it all by themselves. Downgrading the meals, getting rid of sightseer lounges,etc certainly will make people think twice in many instances. The constant lateness which seems to have escalated doesn't help either.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how bad these menus will be till I taste them, but it does look like some of the prices have gone up yet again (and for food that is presumably not as good).

But Train Lady, I have a question: why do you separate Amtrak decisionmakers and the Administration? I don't know who exactly is making the decisions about pricing, lounges, food, etc., at Amtrak, but even if it is non-political-appointees, aren't those decisions still being made to conform to "costsaving" and related dictates made by the political appointees on the Amtrak Board and Mineta et al at Transportation--i.e., this Administration?

Also, when the Administration-appointed Amtrak board fired David Gunn, wasn't it because they wanted to implement changes they knew he wouldn't go along with?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soujourner, you are right. The answer to your question is I really don't know. I guess I still think of the situation as "them and us". It's difficult not to get into a political discussion which is inappropriate for this forum.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look in What's New on the front page of Trainweb about what you can do to save the full dining car service!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page