RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » WAS Union nStation

Author Topic: WAS Union nStation
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have about a 6 hour layover in Washington Union Station, the end of March. Does anyone have a list of must see sights in and around the station?
Thanks in advance, Trainut

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look down at the strand below that asks for "Anybody with local knowledge. . . Washington DC and Portland OR." Many posts, including mine, detail places to see (and even eat) near Union Station in DC. Note that the inquiry there involves arrival in DC on a Sunday; if you are going to be there on a weekday, even more will be open.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 hours will you give you plenty of time (if your train is relatively close to schedule)to walk to the Capitol mall and see the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Viet Nam Memorial, Capitol bldg, and you may even have time to visit one of the Smithsonian museums (of course I am partial to the Natural History museum, but there are several other choices also). All are within walking distance of Union Station, or you can board one of the "Tourmobiles", which make frequent stops in front of Union Station.

What train are you going to DC on, and what are you connecting to?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am comming in on the Crescent meeting a friend who is comming from MSP, and then we will be going back on the Cresent to Anniston AL. Then in a week or so on to NOL, friend back to MSP via the City of New Orleans amd myself back to ATN on the Cresent.
Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my favorite DC destination would be the Smithsonian Museum of History and Technology....for a visit to the venerable Southern Railway 1401 if nothing else. It's easily accessed from the Smithsonian Station on the Metro Blue Line.

Another must accessed from the same Metro station but in good weather as it's about a 6-8 block walk down the mall would be the new World War II Memorial. The Vietnam Wall is another 2-3 blocks beyond that.

Another 'good weather' activity I enjoy is catching the Metro (red line to green line) out to College Park and exploring the campus of the University of Maryland (but I'm a Maryland alumnus and a little biased......I lived just three short blocks from the Metro Station/MARC stop when I was there). When school is in session the University provides a free shuttle bus (which I drove for about three semesters)from the metro station to the student union building.

If the weather is so poor that going outdoors is not appealing, you may want to settle for a MARC commuter train ride up to Baltimore to check out the Penn Station there......then you could catch the light rail from Penn Station down to Camden Yards and come back to DC on a MARC train down the old B&O main just for something different.

Or......you could just catch a movie in the basement of Union Station.

Lot's of possibilities.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself am partial to the National Buildings Museum and the National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Museum affiliates (and thus free) both even closer to Union Station than the Museums on the Mall. However, the National Portrait Gallery has been closed for a major refurbishing and does not reopen until July and perhaps will be crowded right when it is newly reopened. Another favorite of mine is the Library of Congress (Jefferson building) behind the Capitol; the building tour there is very fine; however, there is often a line to get in (even though I don't believe the building tour, after you get in, is very busy).

I am also very fond of all the garden areas by the Smithsonian along the Mall--there is one by the main Smithsonian "Castle"; another by the Arts & Industries Museum, which btw is also closed for refurbishing; a sculpture garden near the Hirschhorn (a modern art museum); and the gardens adjoining the National Botanical Garden hothouse (some of which may be closed) and by the new Native American Smithsonian Museum. I like walking around the Mall and seeing the Capitol and all these gardens--it is also nice to stretch my legs between trains. However, to get to the memorials and monuments, which are on the other end of the Mall, you will probably be better off timewise taking that bus someone mentioned above.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also get to the Smithisonian from Union Station on WMATA. Go to Metro Center then go to the lower level and ride two stations south (toward Carrillton or Addison (maybe now marked Largo?) to Smithisonian Station. You come up in the Mall. If you have your stuff with you, you can also go from there to Alexandria Virginia and catch the Crescent there. The WMATA station is adjacent ot the Alex RR station.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page