RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Acela: Washington,DC. to Boston???

Author Topic: Acela: Washington,DC. to Boston???
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Members...
On April 5, 2002, I am meeting my brother at Washington, Union Station, to take the Acela to Boston. We will be retuning to Washington, April 8, 2002.
Is there anyone out there, who can give me any, "first hand" information on this train ride? Is there any likely-hood, we may encounter any problems? What services are offered on this train, food, drinks, etc?
Thanks, so much.
...Richard

Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Acela Ex about 10 months ago, and I must say, it's the most comfortable train ride I've been on. The trains are brand new, and you barely feel them move. No more gaps between the cars, no more shaking overhead luggage racks- these trains are state-of-the art. The cafe car has a decent menu, and your seats are going to be very comfortable. Also, you can expect a better "crowd of travellers." Since the trains are reserved.. there won't be any standees like the Unreserved Acela Regionals. All I have to say is, until you try the AX, it's hard to imagine taking it. Amtrak like you've never seen it before!!

The only problems I know of is that one certain schedule from WAS to BOS is notoriously late. I can look up the exact train # if you are concerned about this. It's average lateness was only 19 mins behind schedule though. If you are travelling on the weekend, you'll probably get into BOS early, since those schedules are padded. The only problem that I've heard of has been issues with the doors and pantographs, but they are isolated incidents. Sometimes they do cancel an Acela run, due to equiptment issues, but that's a rare occurance.

Enjoy the trip!

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguruswamy
Member # 1330

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguruswamy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Acela Regional trains (some of which are reserved already) will all be reserved with the April schedule change. That will be a refreshing change with everyone guaranteed a seat!

quote:
Originally posted by lakeshorelimited:
Since the trains are reserved.. there won't be any standees like the Unreserved Acela Regionals.

Posts: 9 | From: Arlington, VA 22204 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*gasp!* Nineteen minutes late!
Is this still faster than flying? (check-ins included)
In other words, their timekeeping is impeccable.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by richarddschivley:
Members...
On April 5, 2002, I am meeting my brother at Washington, Union Station, to take the Acela to Boston. We will be retuning to Washington, April 8, 2002.

Richard, you didn't specify if you are riding the Acela Express (the "New" trainsets) or Regional (standard Amfleet).

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page