RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AMTRAK TURBO TRAINS

Author Topic: AMTRAK TURBO TRAINS
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the recent equipment shortage fiasco fresh in our minds it would seem like an opportune time to muster all available cars into service. It has been at least a year since the turbo trains the state of New York paid to have refurbished were withdrawn from service and stored in Wilmington. As I recall reliability and fuel issues were the prime reasons they were parked.
Sometime back in the early 80's the Ontario Northland RR bought several used trainsets from Holland and put them in service on The Northlander. They replaced the power unit with F-7s and goy quite a few miles and years out of them. Is it possible and/or feasible to take the Turbos out of mothballs and replace one of the power cars with one of the Genesis units and operate them as they do on the Wolverine and Downeaster services? The remiaining power car could be de-powered and used as a cab unit. These train sets would be ideal for service on the Adirondack with their larger windows. The seating could be changed from the current 50/50
European style to all seats forward since there are turning facilities at both terminals. Other remaining sets could be used in NY-Albany service.
They aren't doing any good idling. No more status quo.

Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if they 'could' be operated this way but I do think they 'should' be operated. The 'Adirondack' and other Empire Service trains would be prime candidates for anything with bigger windows.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for bigger windows on the Adirondack, but can the Turbo's consist handle the number of passengers carried by the present Amfleet consist?
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page