RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cardinal and Piedmont questions

Author Topic: Cardinal and Piedmont questions
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm back planning another Amtrak trip with my two younger kids and this time I'd like to visit friends near DC and take the train south from there, circling home to Chicago via the City of New Orleans.

I'm hoping for the Cardinal, with an overnight stay in either White Sulphur Springs or Clifton Forge. BTW, is there a particular day I'd have to leave Chicago to avoid having to spend two nights here? And any hotel recs as I don't think I'll pop for the Homestead or Greenbrier.

For the southern part of the journey, I remember reading about a really special train, (maybe the Piedmont?) that is far nicer than the regular East Coast Amtrak fleet. I'm having trouble understanding how to connect with this train from studying the timetable.

Can anyone assist with recommendations for this itinerary in general, and confirm if the Peidmont is the train I'm thinking of and why it's so special?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little confused by your planned itinerary.

After your DC area visit, are you looking to travel South from DC to White Sulphur Springs/Clifton Forge, then back to Charlottesville, then South to New Orleans to return to Chicago via the City of New Orleans?

-

From the looks of things on the schedule, it does look like it's a required 2 night stay in WSS/CF. About the only short stay option for these towns is (schedule adherance permitting) is a 5 hour stop from the Chicago area and returning to same on the later in the day WB.

As for the Piedmont, it only makes stops in NC. I believe its special trait is that it is the last Amtrak train to use "Heritage" equipment, the older boxier cars that are more reminiscent of the Golden Era. These cars are owned by the state of North Carolina and underwent a rehab for their current assignment.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mary,

Sadly there is no way you could take only one night off the Cardinal in Clifton Forge or White Sulpher Springs. As the Cardinal operates tri-weekly, any stop you would make along it's route would be two or even three nights.

One possibility might be to move your off train night to Charlottesville, VA where you could spend one night off the train and then catch the Crescent into the DC area the following morning.

The nice southern train you've heard about is North Carolina's Piedmont. It is nicer because it uses refurbished coaches from the Kansas City Southern Railroad which were built new in the mid-1960's. These coaches have huge windows and lot's of legroom.....better than business class on most other eastern trains. Also, because the Piedmont makes only a Raleigh-Charlotte roundtrip, it's timekeeping is relatively good.

Working the Piedmont into your itinerary will be a challenge because it connects with virtually nothing except the southbound Silver Star. Here is how you could do it if you had the time though......

Following your DC visit on Day 1 take the Carolinian from DC to Raleigh, NC. Spend the night off the train in a hotel.

The next morning, Day 2, catch the Piedmont from Raleigh to Charlotte. You'll have about a 7 hour layover in Charlotte. I'm not sure of your children's ages but there are things to do in Charlotte that would appeal to them.

That afternoon, about 5:30pm, take the Piedmont back to Greensboro, NC. You'll be there about 7pm or so. Five hours and fifteen minutes later...

.......at 12:15am on Day 3, catch the southbound Crescent on to New Orleans.

Probably getting on the Piedmont is going to take more effort than it's worth but it's doable with a little imagination.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the Piedmont train doesn't sound worth the bother.

The cardinal stop is specifically to see one of those fabulous historic resort, so Charlottesville won't work unless I rent a car and drive back there.

Maybe now I'll go up to NY after seeing our friends near DC and take the Adirondack up to Montreal and then home from there.

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page