RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Don't know what to do.

Author Topic: Don't know what to do.
kc
Member # 1407

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for kc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are seriously considering taking the train from Washington, D.C., to Los Angeles next month (April). Neither of us have ever traveled by train, but after Sept. 11, neither of us are in a rush to fly. We would also love to see the country from the ground, for once.

This seems like it could either be an exciting adventure or something akin to traveling across the country on a Greyhound.

We're also faced with the dilemma that we couldn't possibly afford that $1000+ for a private bedroom, making coach the only realistic way to go.

Does anyone have any advice?

thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Email me at "chris@portlandtransit.org" and I'll give you some details on how to get a sleeper at a good rate.

~Chris

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should try it! Great scenery, food, and a lot of space to move around in. If a sleeper is affordable, go for it. Your meals are included in the cost, and you get a couple of nice beds to sleep in. Coach travel is also nice, because you get to meet a lot of people, and the seats are very comfortable.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have travelled by sleeper and by coach, and I have found that coach is the only way to go. I would rather have a coach, even if it were the same price as a sleeper. I do not want to be stuck in a little jail cell of a bedroom for a few days. I enjoy being out with the people. Just don't expect to sleep too much. I don't like to sleep a lot on the train anyway, I like to enjoy the train, not just sleep.

Take the train and you will have a real adventure. It is definately not just a way to get to your destination.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will love the ride on the Southwest Chief. Coach seats are quite comfortable if thats what you intend to do. The scenery is terrific in New Mexico and Arizona. You ll enjoy the Sightseer Lounge Car and the meals in the dining car. Dinners are always superb. I took a train for the first time in 1990 to LA from Pennsylvania and I fell in love with train travel,and I ve been taking annual train vacations. In Albuquerque, step off the train and grab a burrito from the truck and enjoy a southwestern delicacy. Take the train..you wont regret it.
Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a dilemma. Sleeping in coach is OK for one night, but it isn't easy. I wouldn't want to do it for a cross-country trip. Perhaps you should ride coach from DC to Chicago and a sleeper from Chicago to LA.

When you compare coach fares to sleeper fares, remember that meals are included with a sleeper fare, but in coach you pay for meals on the train as you go. Add about $40 per person per day to coach fares when comparing prices to a sleeper.

Amtrak is haing a spring sale you may be able to take advantage of at http://www.amtrak.com/savings/spring.html

If you are a AAA member you can get 10% off of your rail fare (but not the accomodation charge). So be sure to factor all of these things when calculating costs.

You might consider flying one way and training the other. Amtrak has some air-rail deals you might take advantage of.

I suggest you talk to a reservationist at 1-800-USA-RAIL and they can advise you other deals that may be available. I encourage you to do it while you can. There is so much to see from a train, much of which is inaccessable by car. It is the best way to see America.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to state for the record that going across country on Amtrak would be much more enjoyable than going across country on greyhound. Any night in coach on a train is better than any night on a bus!

Atleast with the train you have wide seats, foot and leg rests rests, and a restaurant with real meals on board.

Also, once you're in those superliner coaches, you will realize how comfortable they are. I slept GREAT in a superliner. Granted, I was really tired from not sleeping well the night before, and I did have 2 seats to myself.

I'd go for it. If you can get a deal on a room, go for it, if not.. do what I'm going to do in May, and take coach

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have made lots of overnight trips in coach. I'd say, if you can fall asleep in a chair, on the floor, in a car, at work, and so on, you can sleep well enough in coach. If you need to stretch out flat with a mattress, you won't like an overnight trip in coach. I take a nap on the Virginia Railway Express commuter train about five times a week. (I do prefer sleeping in a bed, but won't pay hundreds of dollars to do so.)

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kc, there are a few things that you should know before using Amtrak. I have been a train fan for many years, and have used Amtrak on several occasions, and in my opinion, you might be much better off getting the bedroom. Coast to Coast in Coach can be very challenging for those who aren't real rail "road warriors." See the following posts in order to gain perspective as to just how poor things can become:
communities.prodigy.net/trains/ttrip063.htm
communities.prodigy.net/trains.ttrip153.htm
communities.prodigy.net/trains/amthints.htm
As you will discover from these posts, when Amtrak screws up, it will screw up really big. Other members of my family don't tolerate any mistakes when they travel - that's why they have never travelled by train.
They even hate to fly because of what they see as poor customer service on the part of the airlines. I think that people are really missing out on a fun experience, but I don't ignore things such as late trains, poor ventilation, other passengers who should have been removed from the train (but weren't), seats with threadbare upholstery, seats so worn out that they are covered with duct tape, toilets that are plugged do to a full septic tank, toilets where the septic/treatment/whateveritscalled tank aren't emptied in a prompt manner no matter what station you're at (ttrip 153 post above contains a correct description of a similar event) and of course the train crew who clearly have no business in a customer service position. Cross country on a train? Only in the sleeper for me, thanks.
Never in coach, unless I have no other choice.
You may enjoy the train trip in coach, but I'll bet that your significant other (if she's like many other Americans I know) will say "Never again" at the end of the trip. many people just won't tolerate a multiple night trip on a coach seat. Crossing the country on a train? Let's face the facts folks, there are many people out there who aren't going to tolerate that sort of trip. I can, but then again, I'm a train fan who knows enough to expect an imperfect trip. To other people,
Coach = Cattle car. I enjoy trains, but I also pay for service that Amtrak can have considerable difficulty providing. Other mambers of my family have heard about Amtrak, and no matter how I try to "sugarcoat" things, I also make sure that they know just what they are getting into before they go.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before anyone flames me for my condemnation of Amtrak on a previous post, let me reiterate that I enjoy trains, but I don't look at them with rose-tinted glasses. I see amtrak trips, faults and all. My intention here was to make certain that kc understood the following: Coach car = Basic, No Frills Transportation. If you want service, be prepared to pay for it. Don't expect to be pampered, and don't expect high levels of personal service either - because you won't get it.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a hint nobody seems to throw around: Visit your local library and search for (fairly CURRENT) books on rail travel. I can recommend Mr. Emeka's 'Amtraking' as required reading. He sums up many of the unusual nuances of train travel through his experiences as a sleeping car attendant.
I have never been in a sleeper, but I have gone from NY to El Paso. I can't sleep at all the first night no matter where I go. Be prepared for this. It is part of the experience.
An economical solution for family travel, or even for two people, is to only purchase sleeper space say every other night, or for two members of a three- or four-member family. This will bring along the complimentary meals for most of your group, and you can fight over ("alternate") the sleeper each night. I've never done this, again I've never been in a sleeping car room, but it is a possibility.
One thing I can guarantee you is that you will see the country when traveling by train. You will see the country how it really is, not behind the chain-link fence of an interstate or from the details-free altitude of an airliner. America is made up of communities with junkyards and personal storage places and industries, not just motels and airports and rest stops. There will be great scenery and bad scenery.
Congratulations for considering a mode of thavel that shows the country as it is.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunibuni0
Member # 1413

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for sunibuni0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by F40PHR231:
Email me at "chris@portlandtransit.org" and I'll give you some details on how to get a sleeper at a good rate.

~Chris

Hello that was a touching story or quote but there are bigger and better things in life than being scared of going on a train or plain! LOL thanks bye bye

Posts: 1 | From: Austin, Texes, United States | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will add something more since my previous post.

Have you thought of staying a day or so in Chicago? I would never rely on connections in Chicago. Amtrak trains are late, sometimes very late. Stay a night in a hotel in Chicago. You can have an enjoyable time there and a chance to take a shower, and sleep in a bed. Then you will be well rested to get on the next train. I have done this twice in Chicago and I really like it that way.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can gamble and possibly save alot of money for a sleeper. Sleeper accommodations can be purchased on the train from the conductor for a significant discount depending on availability. Smaller discount for few vacancies, greater for more. It averages around 25% to 30%. You may only get certain legs or the whole trip. When you get on board tell the conductor you'd like an upgrade. Sh/he will return to you with a non negotiable offer determined by computer (recent innovation like Las Vegas hotels).

------------------
brad

Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page