RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Eating on the run! Railroads and food

Author Topic: Eating on the run! Railroads and food
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The April 2006 issue of TRAINS is in the hands of subscribers and soon will be in retail; outlets.

This issue devotes more than half of it space to dining on the railroads, past and present, with substantial detail about AMTRAK. The cover has a photo of Amtrak chef Ike Harris looking out the open window in a door of his dining car. This is almost required reading for those of us who frequent this site. And it provides perspective about what once was the most gracious service and extrodinary meals which railroads used to compete with each other for the travelers business.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRCHINA:
The April 2006 issue of TRAINS is in the hands of subscribers and soon will be in retail; outlets.

This issue devotes more than half of it space to dining on the railroads, past and present, with substantial detail about AMTRAK. The cover has a photo of Amtrak chef Ike Harris looking out the open window in a door of his dining car. This is almost required reading for those of us who frequent this site. And it provides perspective about what once was the most gracious service and extrodinary meals which railroads used to compete with each other for the travelers business.

I received and read most of this issue just today. Now I want to plan a two or three night stay at the La Posada in Winslow, AZ.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, by all means stay and eat at the La Posada. I have several times. Also, the Old Trails Museum is about three blocks away and is worth your time. They have many railroad items plus other history of this town which was created by the railroad in 1882. The person in charge, Ruth Legate is a personal friend and if you tell her that her railroad acquaintance from Prescott, AZ recommended the mueeum she will tell a few stories about me.

And if you love to watch trains there are few better locations than the one pictured in TRAINS.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning a quick trip riding and watching trains in April. I've narrowed my options down to a couple of nights at the Henry Clay Inn trackside in Ashland, VA or trying a ride on VIA's Ocean.

The La Posada is certainly on my radar now but I think I'll save it for either a mid-winter getaway or a time when I don't absolutely have to fly just to get there.......although I've certainly not had any difficulties flying in or out of Albuquerque on several earlier trips....

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I suggest spring or fall, even summer, but not winter. It an be very cold that is enhanced by wind in the winter. You would not wish to be outside in the chairs pictured in TRAINS or even under the veranda under those conditions. The train watching is a definate plus at either setting.

While I live 160 miles from Winslow I try to find reasons to go there, so when you plan your trip you might email me and perhaps my schedule would allow me to join you.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RRCHINA:
David, I suggest spring or fall, even summer, but not winter. It an be very cold that is enhanced by wind in the winter. You would not wish to be outside in the chairs pictured in TRAINS or even under the veranda under those conditions. The train watching is a definate plus at either setting.

While I live 160 miles from Winslow I try to find reasons to go there, so when you plan your trip you might email me and perhaps my schedule would allow me to join you.

Sounds like fun.......and I haven't ruled out an April trip yet. I've been pricing Southwest Airlines flights into Albuquerque and SWC from there.

Living here in the Blue Ridge Mountains where we get just enough winter to remind us how unpleasant cold weather can be, it's easy to assume that everywhere Arizona is going to be warm and I know that's not the case. Winslow is still what you would call Northern Arizona.

Take Care

--------------------
David Pressley

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Gee whiz.........

I've been looking at La Posada's website. They appear to be totally booked for the month of April. Can this be true or do they hold back some rooms and release them nearer the date?

--------------------
David Pressley

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked the website, too, and they appear to be booked through the end of the year. I suppose that could be true since they are not a very big operation. There were a scattering of days available in March 2006. I suppose a phone call is the only way to answer this question. I was thinking that a quick trip over on the SWC and two nights or so and the SWC back would be a great little trip.

Frank in DRY, cool, sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
They should have an email address.

Yes, the La Posada has become very popular and travel agencies book tours occasionally. It has been publicized a great deal in the west so individual travelers put in their itenary.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent them an e-mail and got an almost immediate response. They are having "technical difficulties" with their website but suggested calling direct (928) 289-4366 for reservations. It sounds like a great little mid-week excursion for this retired guy!

Frank in dark, cold SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page