RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Off to the Slopes on the CZ

Author Topic: Off to the Slopes on the CZ
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I just booked a bedroom on the CZ Omaha to Grand Junction for a couple of days skiing at Telluride. Westbound Mar 1 and Eastbound Mar 5. I recall some links on this site to Superliner diagrams of where the bedrooms are. Anyone remember how I find this? We have car 0532, Room 14.

Prices are pretty good right now, but they go up Mar 6-19 due to Spring Break traffic. We have done this trip many times before, so we know to stake out our lounge seat early out of Denver.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Room 14 is going to be downstairs in the sleeper. I had downstairs #11 on the California Zephyr from Sacramento to Denver (via the Wyoming UP detour) in 2004 and enjoyed it a great deal.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to this. The advantages will be less traffic outside your room as you're not on a through corridor. You'll also be closer to your big bag(s) out on the communal luggage rack (I assume you'll have one out there because with two people in the roomette there isn't room for much else) and to the shower. You won't have to deal with the train sway (particularly in the upper bunk) which you might experience at speed across Nebraska either.

The disadvantage is that the ride is likely to be noisier in your room and the you will likely want to move, as you noted, early to the lounge car for a better view of the mountains than your downstairs window will offer. There is also a risk that you'll wind up with a super hyper family in the family bedroom just a few feet away from your room.

Hope you'll post a trip report for us when you get home!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip!

http://trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some more up to date diagrams at my webpage. Scroll to the bottom to view.

http://web.mac.com/dzygmont/iWeb/dazphotoworld/rail.html

Cheers,
David Z

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page