RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr or Empire Builder

Author Topic: California Zephyr or Empire Builder
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning a solo trip this summer and I have booked a roomette on the Zephyr from Denver to Emeryville on July 4th. Now, from what I am reading, a roomette may or may not offer a view. Some have advised others to stake out a seat in the sightseer lounge right away.

Considering that my trip is intended to be for pure relaxation and enjoyment of the sceanery, would I be better off booking on the Empire Builder?

I had planned to spend a couple of days in Denver first. Would I miss much?

Thanks

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, the Zephyr offers nicer and more varied views on the chunk you are taking than the Empire Builder, although the Empire Builder from Portland (I haven't been to Seattle yet) east as far as Glacier Park is also very nice. On the other hand, the Empire Builder offers the wine tasting to sleeper passengers and has the newly refurbished sightseer lounge etc. (But I had no trouble with my accommodations on the Zephyr and actually even went coach from Denver to Emeryville last summer; I went by sleeper only as far west as Denver and then later had sleeper on Empire Builder heading back east.) Anyway, in both cases, you will see and appreciate the scenery better if you go into the sightseer lounge, because then you can see both sides--there's more glass--you really get the "big picture." If you stay in your sleeper, you will see just one side. It's nice if you want to relax but you miss the real panorama.

I'm not getting what you mean by "would I miss much"--do you mean, would you miss a lot if you do not go to Denver?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to choose one I would definitely choose the CZ. the scenery between Denver and the coast is spectacular. The view from the lounge car from Denver through the tunnels and canyons for the first few hours is not to be missed. Denver has a lot to offer, if that is what you mean by missing much. The Museum of natural history is tops. My kids live within walking distance and they have to pry me out of there. Also Ocean Journey can keep one enthralled for hours. There is enough in that city to keep you on the go for days. If you mean scenery wise while much of the land between Chi and Seattle is ok large segments are flat and not too interesting . You will understand why Montana is Land of the Big Sky. Also the Builder doesn't go to Denver.Where would you pick it up?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The westbound Empire Builder doesn't reach the "nice part" of the route -- Glacier National Park -- until after 6PM. Officially, that's not a problem in July, when it doesn't get totally dark until nearly 10. However, if the train is running behind schedule, you could find yourself rolling through the best areas after nightfall.

That's why you should stick to the westbound California Zephyr. For scenery gazing, its schedule is far more viewer-friendly.

Keep in mind, though, that the Sightseer Lounge doesn't have enough seats to accommodate every passenger. During the summer when the train is packed, many passengers stake their claim early in the morning, and continue to hog those seats for the rest of the day.

So if you don't want a one-sided view of the Rockies from your roomette? Be sure to plant yourself in the Sightseer Lounge as early as you can.

And remember: if some of the less socially-evolved passengers insist on filling empty seats with their refreshment coolers and kids' toys, permit their hyperactive offspring to take up more than one seat per kid, or continue to "save" empty seats for traveling companions who disappeared an hour ago and still haven't returned. . . don't suffer in silence.

Just tell 'em you're sitting down, and ask them to clear off the seat.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all.

I think you all confirmed what I was thinking. Denver has enough to see that I would miss something by not seeing it.

While the sceanery is spectacular, I don't know that I want to have to worry about getting one of the seats with a view. I guess it is really kind of a gamble if you take a roomette. My main goal for this vacation is Rest and Relaxation, but I do want to look at something nice while doing it.

I appreciate your input.

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never have a problem taking any sleeper accommodation on the CZ. Westbound, there are view opportunities for both the left and right sides of the train.
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just make sure your roommette is on the upper level. We were in the family bedroom (lower level) on the CZ and, altho it has windows on both sides, lots of times the view is obscured by bushes.

The roomette is very nice in that you will be able to ride facing forward or back, whichever view is more impressive, and you can put your feet up! If you are lucky, you rneighbor across the hall will keep the doors and curtain open and you'll be able to peek out that side form time to time as well.

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by patbl:

While the sceanery is spectacular, I don't know that I want to have to worry about getting one of the seats with a view. I guess it is really kind of a gamble if you take a roomette.

As long as you're perfectly content with missing the scenery on the other side of the train, you'll have a fine view from the window of your roomette.

Just don't stay cooped up in there for the entire trip. Get out. Walk through the train once in a while to stretch your legs. Get off at station stops for some fresh air whenever the conductor allows it. And definitely spend at least a little time in the Sightseer Lounge car. It's well worth it.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one year the lounge was full so we wandered up to one of the coaches where there were empty seats and sat there for a while where we could see the scenery quite well. Another time they let us sit in the diner as it was betwen meals. Try to get acquainted with the person/persons in the room across the hall. That way you can let each other know when sometning good is coming upand gather in each others room.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the great ideas!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page