RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Crescent - AC Outlets

Author Topic: Crescent - AC Outlets
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going on a RT on the Crescent ATN to WAS at the end of March. What equipment do they run? Does anyone know if there are and where the AC outlets are.
I have a sleeper going, for $111.00 but on the way back they want $212.00 Can't aford that.
I need AC power for my C-Pap.
Called Amtrak, they said I would have to get a room, and that she didn't think there were outlets in the cars. Any help would be helpful. Thanks, Trainut

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Current timetable shows the Crescent as having Viewliner sleeping cars -- those cars do have outlets in each room. I believe the rest of the train would be Amfleet, but I am not sure, and defer to Mr. "Notelvis" (our resident North Carolina/Crescent expert!) -- if they run the newer Amfleet cars, I know there are A COUPLE outlets in the lounge/cafe car, but I don't know what the coaches have nowadays.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they're the same coach cars that are used on the Regional service (they appeared to be when I took the Crescent last fall) then they SHOULD have one outlet for every two seats along the window. So be sure to get a window seat.

Isn't it going to be awkward sleeping with the CPAP machine in the coaches, though?

Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Current timetable shows the Crescent as having Viewliner sleeping cars -- those cars do have outlets in each room. I believe the rest of the train would be Amfleet, but I am not sure, and defer to Mr. "Notelvis" (our resident North Carolina/Crescent expert!) -- if they run the newer Amfleet cars, I know there are A COUPLE outlets in the lounge/cafe car, but I don't know what the coaches have nowadays.

I'm flattered but actually have not been on the 'Crescent' since a Clemson, SC - New York trip three years ago. That was a bedroom trip and yes we had an outlet in our room.

The coaches are amfleet II's and there are outlets in places but it's kind of sporadic. Some of the coaches have been through a refurbishing and those will have more outlets than those which have not. It's hit or miss whether you'll be able to land an outlet at your coach seat.

Have a nice trip and be sure to come back on and tell us how it went.

Thanks,

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the CPAP is essential to your well-being then you should probably plead your case to Amtrak and see if you can get a break on the accomodation charge; if that doesn't work, try it again on the train and see where it gets you.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be ignorant, and I hope I am not embarrassing you, Mr. Trainut -- but what on earth is a "C-pap?"
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answer to RRRICH's Question:
The C-Pap unit pressure is set specific to each person's needs to prevent collapse of the airway or throat. The pressure varies according to how severe the sleep apnea is and how much pressure is needed to prevent collapse.
A C-Pap. mask is held in place by a head gear and tubing goes from the mask to the C-Pap unit. The C-Pap unit is plugged into an electrical outlet and provides a constant flow of air to the mask.
This is used while sleeping. If you don't have this a person quits breathing, thus you wake up and never get any sleep. If you would like more info try this site: http://www.lung.ca/sleepapnea/treatment/cpap.html.
Hope this helps.
By the way Thanks to all that replied, the info was helpful
Trainut.

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Trainut, and have a good trip!! Let us know how the trip went!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page