RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Parking at Pittsburgh Amtrak Station

Author Topic: Parking at Pittsburgh Amtrak Station
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if there are any long-term parking lots around the Pittsburgh Amtrak Station? The small lot next to the station hasn't allowed long-term parking for some time, and the Greyhound Terminal and Garage across Liberty Avenue has been demolished by the City to be replaced by a new Terminal and Garage, but that is a couple years away. When I recommend train travel, the lack of parking at the station is a major drawback to potential passengers.
Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your not suppose to DRIVE to a metropolitain train station! try the buses try the light rail system take a cab if you must. We're into this mass public transportation thing here . LOL
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have clarified that I am 47 miles from the Pittsburgh Amtrak Station. In addition, western Pennsylvania/West Virginia/Ohio is not Connecticut. Pittsburgh's mass transit doesn't even connect to the Airport, and when all the trains at a station arrive and depart late evening or the middle of the night, even that doesn't operate.
Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilderFan1976
Member # 4321

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilderFan1976     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be expensive, as I have only been to the Pittsburgh Airport a couple of times, and to the train station only once, and don't know how many miles they are apart. But you might look into parking at the airport and taking a taxi to the station. That is what I use to do when I took the train from Portland Oregon back to Pennsylvania to visit family. I would park at the Portland airport and take a taxi downtown to the Amtrak station. It was about 8 bucks a day for parking and 20 bucks for the cab. Now Portland has light rail from the airport through downtown. So I just park at the airport and pay a dollar to take the MAX downtown. Unfortunately the MAX only gets within 10 blocks of Portlands Union Station, but I travel light so the walk isn't THAT bad...
Posts: 1 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHALL,
You might try a Pittsburgh city guide on line with a listing of municiple lots and the rates. Not sure how long you will out of town but there might be some commuter lots.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This may be expensive, as I have only been to the Pittsburgh Airport a couple of times, and to the train station only once, and don't know how many miles they are apart. But you might look into parking at the airport and taking a taxi to the station. That is what I use to do when I took the train from Portland Oregon back to Pennsylvania to visit family. I would park at the Portland airport and take a taxi downtown to the Amtrak station. It was about 8 bucks a day for parking and 20 bucks for the cab. Now Portland has light rail from the airport through downtown. So I just park at the airport and pay a dollar to take the MAX downtown. Unfortunately the MAX only gets within 10 blocks of Portlands Union Station, but I travel light so the walk isn't THAT bad...
Hmmm....$20 each way for a cab, plus eight dollars a day to park, plus a ten-block walk each way? I would think it would be easier to take a cab the entire way! [Eek!]
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, there IS a bus from the Pittsburgh Airport into the city - the 28X, runs about every 30 minutes.

Which train were you looking to catch? Pennsylvanian, WB Capitol, or EB Capitol?

If the Pennsylvanian (appx. 7am dep.), I would personally look at trying to park near one of the busway stops and catching the EBA (East) or 100 (West) to the Station.

You could do the same for the WB Capitol (11ish pm) towards Chicago.

BUT, if you're looking for the EB Capitol with its 415am departure, you won't have transit service available to you at that hour.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Thanks for all the ideas. The airport is a possibility, it is $ 6.50 per day for long term parking and a 12 mile trip downtown to the Station. I give a neighbor gas money to take me to Pittsburgh when I take the train, and that works fine for me. The problem is that people show interest in taking the Pennsylvanian to New York City, until the parking issue emerges, and for a first-timer, that usually ends the train interest.

I checked with the Pittsburgh Parking Authority and none of the 16 lots/garages downtown permit overnight parking, including the two at the Amtrak Station. Maybe when the new garage is constructed across the street where the Greyhound Terminal used to be located... I used to take Greyhound to take the train westbound, but Greyhound ended its route west from Pittsburgh last November as part of their nationwide reductions.

PA Bill
Member # 27540

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PA Bill         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like this question has not been answered in a long time. Yes, there is long term parking near the Pittsburgh AMTRAK station. The Pittsburgh Parking Authority has a parking facility (Grant Street Parking Garage) directly across Liberty street from the AMTRAK station. Even though it is not advertised, you can park for an extended period of time. Google "pittsburgh parking authority" for more info including maps and rates.
It is a 24/7 facility with security. If you need more info, call them at (412) 560-7202.

Posts: 1 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, six years later!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Empire Builder Fan -

An additional downtown loop for the Portland light rail has opened. There is now a stop in front of the Greyhound Station which is not even a full block away from Portland Union Station!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldiat
Member # 27396

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldiat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i live 10 mins away and asked my brother-in-law to drop us off. he lives 5 mins away. question, how soon before we depart should we get to the station? do stations have porters to carry bags, or will the bags get checked in at the "curb". we have to change trains in CHI. will they automaticly transfer our bags or do we do it?
thanks
ldiat

Posts: 6 | From: pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Idiat, get to the station a half hour early . If you have luggage to check I suggest 1 hour. Most stations have red caps to carry the bags for you and they are usually right out in front. If you check them through to your final destination you just pick them up there. If you want help at you destination just ask the conductor or your car attendant to call ahead and request a red cap meet you. Just make sure they give them your name
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Idiat, have a nice trip, and "may the horse be with you."
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldiat
Member # 27396

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldiat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks train lady

thank O mike good luck sat!

Posts: 6 | From: pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Yes, the new parking garage has been constructed since my original post in 2006. But, NO red caps at Pittsburgh, got to drag them into the station. Once inside, station staff are able to help to some degree.
ldiat
Member # 27396

Rate Member
im getting different reports. on the Southwest chief are there restrooms on the top level in coach? i know on the first level there are changing rooms etc. but on the top level are there just restrooms?
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only in the sleeping car is there a restroom on the upper level. All other cars, lower level only.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldiat
Member # 27396

Rate Member
thanks,last question....how are the steps from the 2nd level to first level? are there railings? my wife uses a walker and uses stairs, but it can be a bit tiresome for her.
thanks for all resopnses

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The steps are very narrow and have 2 90 degree turns. They have handrails that are good enough for support (I think on both sides). They may be too narrow for a walker, but it could be folded and carried, using the handrails for support.

The narrowness of the stairway and aisles can sometimes be an advantage -when the train rocks or lurches the walls are so close they keep one from falling.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an example, I am probably average width. I cannot turn around in the stairway or bedroom aisle with a large backpack on. I also have difficulty with my well padded laptop case on my hip with a shoulder strap. I have to hang it in front of me to take the stairs.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldiat
Member # 27396

Rate Member
ok thanks, my wife can do the steps(i carry the walker for her). if we have a problem i guess we'll have to go to the lower level.
thanks all

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page