RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Auto Train

Author Topic: Auto Train
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been twelve years since I've traveled on Auto Train, and I have a few questions. First, now that they serve meals in a real dining car (rather than the old "buffet line" that they used to use before they switched to Superliner equipment) is tipping expected, since meals are included in the ticket price? If so, what's the appropriate amount, since there are no prices on the menu to gauge a percentage? Also, does anyone have any insight as to how any of the recent cuts in services have impacted Auto Train, if at all? Finally, anyone know how their on-time performance has been? I'm a veteran of the Lake Shore Limited and Silver Meteor (our usual way of getting to FL) but on Auto Train, I recall the customs are different. (I fully expect to tip the sleeping car attendant as appropriate.)
Thanks in advance for any help!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No prices on the menus?
Tipping is customary and expected of any service industry such as Dining Car service. Individuals who do not tip for service are depriving the servers of income that is expected to be there (somewhere around 8%?) that they still have to pay taxes on, whether or not it actually happens.
You're eating in a restaurant. The only difference there is that the scenery is moving.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronPirate
Member # 1476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronPirate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no prices on the menu because there is no cost. All service on Auto Train is considered First Class.
On time service, with a very few exceptions, has been excellent. Arrivals have usually been in advance of shown times. You can expect to ssit in Florence, S.C. at least 20 minutes every trip. It's built into the schedule. This is where the locomotives are fueled, cars watered, and train and engine crews swap out.
There have been no real cutbacks to Auto Train service. Like I said, Amtrak considers it to be first class service.
Also, you may expect up to 45 minute wait, if your car is the last off the train. There are waiting areas to relax in. Just sit back and wait to hear your car #. Most crowd up at one area and wait until they see their car come off.

Posts: 3 | From: Sanford,Fl. usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page