RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cross Country Train Trip in June

Author Topic: Cross Country Train Trip in June
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have booked our annual train trip for 2006, it is from Pittsburgh to Sacramento on the Capitol Ltd., and California Zephyr and return. My son and I have done an annual train trip for the past 12 years. The cost has increased about 35% since we did this similar trip 3 years ago. I was surprised that every date I checked in June for this trip had all types of sleeper accommodations available only 3 months out, and when I booked online, found that we are in Roomette 2 or 4 the whole trip, does that mean all the rest were still available?

We are overnighting in Chicago on the return to avoid tempting fate on the connection, and allow some Museum touring. We might try overnight at a hotel at Midway with the help of the recent postings, downtown Chicago hotels are very expensive in late June.

As another passenger told me on my first train trip, "it's always an adventure, bend your knees when you walk on a train, and always bring duct tape rolled onto a short pencil for whatever rattles and breaks."

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And be sure to bring a bunch of large safety pins to keep the curtains closed at night.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the price goes up and the service and equipment gets worse, it is possible that less first class accomodations are sold. I just got back from a trip on the CZ, and the overhead vent rattled and wouldn't shut in both our roomette out and bedroom back.

It was still a great trip though, and timekeeping was not horrible (1 hour late out, 3 hours back), and that was due to winter weathe conditions.

Sometimes prices drop on 1st class a week before departure if space is avialable. I wonder if you could check the net and rebook with an agent at a lower price?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about to book for a trip on the Coast Starlight in April. The price is $100 more then it was last year. I also noticed on the Dunsmuir railcam that the Coast Starlight has been running with 2 sleeping cars instead of 3. Hopefully they will run 3 in the higher season.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AHALL:
bend your knees when you walk on a train

I'm mystified by this one. Spread your legs wide to avoid falling over and hold onto seats/handrails with your hands, but bend your knees? Makes it difficult to walk, surely? If it's anything to do with shock absorbers, the car and trucks have at least two types, possibly three (George H?).

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allow me to clarify the "bended knees" comment. I was on the Capitol going to D.C. and the track was rough. I am 6' 3" and trying to walk down the center aisle of the coach. The person suggested that I slightly bend my knees to absorb the bumps and bounces, like a shock absorber or spring would react. It works for me.
Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not so much a bend as don't at any point in your walking lock your knees. Some people do that subconciously in the way they walk, some do not. I am not concious of actually doing it. But if you do, walking with the idea of never getting your legs completely straight accomplishes keeping your knees unlocked. What I am concious of in a train is to walk with a wider path for my feet. In other words, do not walk like you are walking on a tightrope or even a narrow board or footpath. It is more of the nature of a walk in the woods or on uneven ground.

As to suspension, I am mainly a track guy, not a vehicle guy, and have also worked outside the US for all but less than one of the last 16 years. However, American suspensions are somewhat "mushier" than their European counterparts. This is a necessity due to normally rougher tracks.

Remember, the European systems are primarily passenger oriented and tend to maintain track to an acceptable level of passenger comfort. American systems are primarily freight oriented and the basic standards of maintenance are oriented toward safety for the permitted speed. Any track that rides comfortably in either regime is way inside the limits of safety.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page