RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Katrina revives Hammond depot

Author Topic: Katrina revives Hammond depot
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAMMOND — The turreted depot in the center of the city has become the little train station that could.

Though only a small portion of the brick building remains devoted to train travel, that tiny waiting room has been packed with passengers and emotion since Hurricane Katrina.

After the storm closed Amtrak’s large station in New Orleans for weeks, the Hammond station temporarily became the southernmost stop and turn-around point for the “City of New Orleans,” the train that runs to and from Chicago daily.

With train traffic dwindling in recent decades, the depot’s waiting room had shrunk to 24 seats as the Chamber of Commerce and the Clerk of Court occupied parts of the building.

Still, it handled hundreds of passengers a day as evacuees caught outgoing trains and workers poured in from the north.

Evacuees walked in with all of the possessions they had stuffed in garbage bags, said Craig Carter, the Amtrak agent who oversees the station.
Story

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan
www.saveourtrainsmichigan

Save Our Trains Mississippi
www.saveourtrainsmississippi.com

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why we need to keep Amtrak Long Distance trains running and Ticket Agents in the Stations.

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I follow your logic here. We need to keep long distance trains and ticket agents in the stations in case of a hurricane? Does Seattle get hurricanes?

I agree in princple but not for the reason given!!

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
what i mean is Amtrak plays a big role in any type of weather emergency or to haul the miltary or other emergency personal.

You take the LD trains off and your screwd this story points out why we need Agents in the stations and why we need the LD trains.

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page