RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pacific surfliners

Author Topic: Pacific surfliners
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Does anyone know if all the Pacific Surfliners are using the California Cars by this point? I ll be using the Surfliners in early July and I was hoping I wouldnt have to ride in the old single level trains.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rms492
Member # 78

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rms492     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the pacific surfliners dont use california cars, they use the surfliners (although I think they are the same, just different paint scheme?) Correct me on this: California cars are the same as surfliners??
Anyway, I just came back from san diego last week (late feb.), and I saw one single level set (amfleet and horizon).

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Surfliner & California cars are 2 different types of 2 level cars. The Surfliners are used in Socal(SLO-SAN). The California Cars are used in Norcal(Bay Area to Sacremento & Bakersfield). Amfleet & Horizon cars are single level. 1-2 sets are used to fill in on Surfliner trains when there is a shortage of regular Surfliner cars(wrecks, maintenance, etc.)
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffDavis
Member # 1312

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for JeffDavis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in San diego last summer and I saw two trains come by with old low level cars.

Jeff

Posts: 10 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff
True last summer but nearly all bi-level Surflner cars here now, so only 1-2 low level sets of Amfleet(no horizons)running as needed. Also Amfleets are in latest paint scheme, not a mixture like back then.

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than paint and cosmetic differences, what is the difference between California Cars and Surfliner Cars?

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Try this link for pix: http://communities.prodigy.net/trains/arstrcar.htm
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Sorry above link is just a list of the various Amtrak car types w/ no pix. Here's one for the California cars: http://24.130.62.211:1234/HLPage?pg=http%3A%2F%2F198.30.209.3%2Famtrak%2FamtCAL.html&ht=amfleet
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K,
I noticed no difference between the Cal Cars and Surf Cars when I see them, except for paint. Both are manufactured by Alstom and deadhead out on train 49. By the way, this is the only time I've seen them. It wouldn't surprise me if they are the exact same carbody and window arrangement with different paint and interiors.
Anybody on the west coast got a good answer on this? I have to travel 3000 miles before I see one of these trains.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg
Member # 66

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following is from a post I originally made last June. It may help to explain some of the differences between Surfliners and California Cars.

The Surfliner cars, aside from being built by a different manufacturer, have both external and internal differences from the California Cars that preceeded them. Inside, the California Cars are more like commuter coaches with the new Surfliner cars having more comforts associated with intercity coaches.

The baggage storage on the California Cars is particularly poor. The opening for the enclosed overhead baggage compartments is so small that a standard carry-on bag won't squeeze through the opening. In addition, there are no window curtains and the seats don't recline. For these reasons, I actually preferred the rougher riding Amfleet and Horizon coaches for longer trips on the San Diegan route.

The Surfliner cars correct many of the "deficiencies" of the California Cars. Overhead baggage is not enclosed, seats recline and are more comfortable than
California Car, Amfleet, or Horizon coach seats. There still are no curtains on the the standard Surfliner coaches. The Pacific Business Class coach differs from the standard coach in having curtains, greater spacing between seat rows, and seatback video monitors. All of the Surfliner coaches have more outlets for laptop computers or other electronic devices.

While the occasional single-level consist was common last summer while the last of the Surfliners were being delivered, such use is now fairly rare. Most Surfliners now operated with 5 to 6 cars plus locomotive with an occasional Superliner I or II Coach or Coach/Baggage in the consist. The longest Surfliner consist I've seen was 9 cars plus locomotive on November 4, 2001. Both a Superliner I and Superliner II coach were in that consist. I don't know why the Surfliner was so long on that day.

Greg

Posts: 41 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Greg. That really clears things up. I have also seen an occasional Superliner in with the Surfliner cars and wondered why.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rms492
Member # 78

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rms492     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they are now to short! I was coming back from San Diego and only 5 cars, it was jammed pack!
I remember back in the early 1990's (I use to ride it a lot back then), it was common to see 10 to 12 amfleet cars, with one locomotive on each end. Why don't they add more cars?
Does anyone remember those really long amfleet san diegan trains with one loco on each end (it was usually an f40 or a dash-8).
Remember when they sometimes used Cal-Train bi-level commuter cars? This made for some interesting consists back then, too bad those days are gone.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
I remember riding on it when it was the Santa Fe San Diegan pulled by four F units (two A and two B). I don't know how many cars it had, but it was a lot.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, those were the good ol' years. A long train with a F40 on each end. The F40 #231 was a regular down there for as long as it existed!

Now there's a crummy 5 car train... Would be nice to have a 10 car Surfliner with F59s on both ends...

Hey, we can dream can't we?

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page