RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » C Z in June

Author Topic: C Z in June
doveman
Member # 4310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for doveman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moderate drinker here but I do like an occasional bloody mary. Do they prepare cocktails at the snack bar in the sightseer lounge and if so what is the approximate cost and hours you can buy cocktails?...thanks in advance.
Posts: 15 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doveman - yes you can get alcoholic drinks in the Sightseer Lounge snack bar on the lower level, but nothing fancy. They can make a bloody mary for you, and they also have canned beer and small bottles of wine available. They cannot, however, necessarily mix ALL the drinks listed in the "Playboy Bar Guide."

Hours of alcohol service are generally governed by the laws of whatever state you happen to be passing through at the time.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRRich, Are you sure the hours of service are governed by state law? Because in NYS the hours are county or municipality laws, not state, I believe, so which law would they use? I mean, you can buy booze in some bars in the morning (I think) for instance in Manhattan, except they cannot open Sunday morning or Election Day, I think? And I do believe closing hours are locally mandated, larger cities close later than smaller towns. . . . Also, in some parts of the country, there are "dry counties."
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On an October 2004 trip on the Zephyr I brought along my own bottle (I was in a sleeper) and thought I'd buy mixers in the lounge car. Well, the LSA told me he had tonic and club soda in cans, but couldn't sell them to me because they weren't on the soft drink menu - they were stocked for only for the sale of mixed drinks. Then he just gave me what I needed. Needless to say, I left an appropriate tip. Odd, isn't it?
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner -- hmmmmmmmm, maybe I am not sure about that. I guess what I was thinking was that, for example, the State of Kansas is dry, and therefore you can't buy any alcohol anywhere on the SWC as you are traveling through Kansas. I don't know if AMTRAK's policy is similar on other trains. Come to think of it, I HAVE been able to buy beer on Sundays on AMTRAK, yet some counties and municipalities do not allow that.

In other words, I don't really know the answer to Doveman's question. Sorry about that!!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the bar hours are the same as the attendents work schedule, which is approximately 6:30am-11:00pm, but sometimes ending earlier. There are meal breaks and restocking times that cause temp closures for upwards of an hour during this time, and it may vary with time zone changes.

I have never found alcohol unavailable in Kansas on the SWC if the attendant was on duty, but most of Kansas is covered at night when they are not there.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page