RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SUMMER TRIP

Author Topic: SUMMER TRIP
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have decided to book a trip on the Empire Builder and the Zephyr for this summer. I plan to book a roomette on both trains. Has anyone ever been in roomette 2? It was mentioned that this roommette was close to the service station and I wondered if anyone has [Smile] had a problem with this.

Thanks

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like #2 because it is next to the coffee service, sometimes the ice and also people tend to congregate there and talk as they ge their coffee.The restroom on the upper level is very close and that mean s the door opening and shuting a lot. If I had my druthers I would druther get3,4,5,6.I also don't like 7,8,9,10 because they are close to the end and seem to have more sway.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had room 2 on three trips. Never had a problem with noise. I kinda like being close to the beverage station for convenience. And the attendant is right across the hall. If privacy and quiet are your preferences, a lower level room is best. As for ride comfort, I've never experienced any appreciable difference from room to room or even different levels.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Train Lady and Mr. Toy. I went ahead and booked online. I was given roomette 4 on the Empire Builder and roomette 3 on the Zephyr. Any idea which side of the train these rooms are on?

:-) [Smile]

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience these days is that you really won't know which direction the car is oriented until you board. Your trip sounds like a great one and I'll be especially interested to hear about the EB.

I leave here very early Monday AM on the bus to BFD connecting to the San Joaquin to Emeryville. The last time I rode a train up the Valley was on the San Joaquin Daylight and we all know that's been a few years.

Tuesday I'll board the CZ headed for Denver. Bedroom B, Car 0631. I'll fly from Denver to BUR and take the 7:24PM Surfliner home on Thursday.

Frank in soon to be wet again SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this site.
http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html
It has the layouts of the sleepers.
Hope this helps. Have a gopod trip.
Trainut [Smile]

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patbl - as Frank in (whatever the weather currently is)Santa Barbara said, which side a certain roomette is on will depend 100% on which way the car is oriented as it is consisted into the train set, and there is no set pattern for that. Therefore any roomette can be on either side of the train on any given day -- no consistency whatsoever!! Does that make sense?

--Rich in "sunny and warm Florida"

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand what you guys are saying But in all the years of Amtrak travel I have found (1) 10 and 8 had a terrific sway. Probably because it was in the last car. (2) Coming up the staairs the roomettes have always been to the right which puts 4 on the right and 3 on the left. There has never ben a deviation from that.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rrrayinmd
Member # 4148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rrrayinmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady...you are correct, even numbers on right of aisle, odds are on left. I believe RRRICH and others were referring to which "side" of the track on will be on ... in your case North or South as you head west from Chicago. I took EB last June and was booked in Room 3 both west and eastbound. I happened to be on south side of train westbound. When I reached Seattle I asked the Station Manager if Room 3 would be on the north or south side on the return trip. His said that because the whole train is "y'd" at Seattle....I would be on the north side going east....and I WAS !!! Good Luck
Posts: 34 | From: Carroll County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
I understand what you guys are saying But in all the years of Amtrak travel I have found (1) 10 and 8 had a terrific sway. Probably because it was in the last car. (2) Coming up the staairs the roomettes have always been to the right which puts 4 on the right and 3 on the left. There has never ben a deviation from that.

I experienced horrific sway in superliner roomette 8 on the 'Kentucky Cardinal' during the brief period it operated with superliner equipment (and a sleeping car.) I believe though that in this case the sway was caued by poor track south of Indianapolis.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Thanks for all the input. I guess I lucked out with #4 and #3. I'll fly to Portland at the end of June and leave on the EB from there in roomette 4. From Chicago, I'll take the Zephyr in roomette 3. I'll let you all know how the trip was. I'm really excited. [Smile]
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portland has a nice station with a pleasant 1st class waiting room if you have a sleeper. When you leave Portland, go into the observation car and sit on the right side facing forward for the best view of the Columbia River gorge.

Are you just taking the CZ from Chicago to Denver? The pretty part is west of Denver to Sacramento; any chance you can extend you train trip to include that?

Have fun whatever you do!!!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
I will definitly follow your advice regarding the Lounge Car, thanks.

I'd heard Portland Union Station is very nice. Since I fly in early, I thought I'd drop off my luggage at the station and take a trip to the Art Museum and perhaps Powell's. Then I can relax in the First Class Lounge at the station.

Actually, I do plan to go all the way to Emeryville. Since I live in So. Cal, I thought I'd just go all the way back to California and then fly home.

[Big Grin]

panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Empire Builder last week in R2. It was fine. No noise problem and the attendant was right across the hall if I need him - if anything I got extra service. Close to stairs when I needed. Was my best Amtrak ride ever - good crew, good food, only 15 min late east bound.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat--

The Art Museum and Powell's are both awesome. I'm glad I was on the train because I had a lot of books to lug home to SBA. The cafe in the Art Museum is pretty good, too. It was operating out of temporary quarters when I was there but may be back in it's permanent location by now. Great soup for a cold, rainy afternoon. The Public Library is also worth a look. It reminds me a lot of the newly restored library in Nashville, TN. They also have free internet access if you need to check e-mail. Very pleasant and helpful staff.

Frank in cool, dark SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page