RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » plug ins...

Author Topic: plug ins...
rachsewell
Member # 4339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachsewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there I'm new to the forum and am not sure if I am even using it properly, but here I go...
I have traveled to Coast Starlight several times the past two years from Tacoma to Sacramento. This June, myself and my daughter will be once again making the trip, on the way down we will try a roomette she is so excited to have a bunkbed on the train! North bound home again in coach. Last trip I heard of a gentlemen plugging in his laptop under a seat in the coach car... I have been reading travel logs (some of yours!) for days hoping to find the seat number for the mystery plugin. I called Amtrak and the agent said he must have used the plug that the cleaners use to vaccum. She thought it might be located near the front of thr car, a travel log I read mentioned the back middle in the stair side. Does anyone in all your vast knowledge of trains have the answer???

Posts: 20 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're going to have a pretty cool trip!
On a trip about a year ago, I remember an outlet towards the center of the coach car (only because every other passenger wanted to use it to plug in a cell phone). I would like to say that there are more in each coach, but don't quote me on that. There is at least one in the lounge car (by the stairs) as well.
I'll be taking a trip on the Chief tomorrow, and I'll take a look to see what there is, and then get back to you!
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get lucky, the refurbished coaches have outlets below the windows-each pair of seats has a duplex outlet.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachsewell
Member # 4339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachsewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx for the help guys, I guess if I get lucky, I'll figure it all out! I've really enjoyed the experimenting and reading these forums... It's full of great stuff!
Posts: 20 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm back, but without any extra info. The train was packed (which is definitely a good thing!), so I wasn't able to look around very much. Sorry about that, and I hope you can come up with something... [Smile]
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a nice long extention cord and if the person sitting next to the outlet doesn't want to switch places, I ask if I can "hook up" so to speak and run the cord along the window side of the seats. Of course you have to be on the same side of the car as the plug. I've successfully done this 4 times on long distance trips with no objections.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachsewell
Member # 4339

Rate Member
Super, you have been such a great help! This forum is the best, I've been reading and reading finding wonderful tips along the way. I wish I would have discovered this treasure trove of info on my last few trips!I thank you, and so does my daughter!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page