RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Auto Train Trip Report

Author Topic: Auto Train Trip Report
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have arrived. I have had my first Amtrak beef stew experience.

We planned to travel to Florida last Tuesday on Auto Train. When our party arrived at Lorton at 1:00 p.m. there was no train at the platform. We learned that the northbound train was running late. It finally arrived at 4:00 p.m.

We boarded at 7:30 p.m. and left at 7:50 p.m. Imagine my surprise when I woke up at 6:15 a.m. to discover we had just arrived in Florence SC. The train lost further time and we finally arrived in Sanford at 3:30 p.m. Thus, we had the famous beef stew lunch. They also offered chicken strips.

Otherwise the trip was great. We were traveling with family, so reserved two adjacent deluxe bedrooms and opened the connecting door. We had lots of room.

Wesley

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, the "beef stew"...

Had that on the CZ back in August 2005.

They were scheduled to get into Chicago in the early afternoon, but didn't get in until after 10PM. It was beef stew and whatever they have left-over for us sleeping car folks.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dizney1990
Member # 4334

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dizney1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hum - a few years back we were very late getting into DC. The train actually stopped in Richmond and we has take out KFC for everybody. We didn't arrive in DC until 11:30 pm -- the next day was a work day and a school day.
Posts: 10 | From: Maryland 10 miles outside of DC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the train departing nearly three and one half hours late did they serve dinner southbound?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they served dinner southbound, almost immediately after boarding.

I forgot to mention in my report that the staff brought out snacks while we waited in the terminal. At about 6:00 p.m. they served cheese, crackers, fuit, canned soft drinks, and chips.

Wesley

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page