RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad Exhibit In the Smithsonian?

Author Topic: Railroad Exhibit In the Smithsonian?
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to WAS friday on the Crescent. Hope to meet a friend comming from MSP, leaving the same day on the EB, to CHI, there will be less than 2 hours till the CL leaves, then to WAS. If the EB is late and he misses his connection, then I will have an extra day in DC. Is there a railroad exhibit in the Smithsonian?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trainut:
Is there a railroad exhibit in the Smithsonian?
Thanks in advance.

Yes! There is a railroad hall in the Smithsonian Museum of History and Technology. The featured piece of equipment is Southern Railway steam locomotive #1401, a huge Pacific type locomotive built in 1926.

You can get to this museum from Union Station by taking the Metro red line west to the Metro Center station and transferring to the blue line south two stops to the Smithsonian Station.

If you really have time to spare, you could look at catching Amtrak up to Baltimore Penn Station (or even a MARC commuter train if it's a weekday), taking the Baltimore Light Rail (yellow line I think) down to Camden Yards, and walking 4-5 blocks west to the B&O Railroad Museum. There is an admission charge to the B&O Museum (unlike the Smithsonian which is free) but they have one of the best collections of early railroad equipment that you will find anywhere.

Have a great trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archriker
Member # 4082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for archriker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also a Smithsonian US Postal Service museum across the street from the DC train station, if I remember correctly. Back in 1995 when I was there it had an interesting postal rail car exhibit.

arch riker
jacksonville beach, fl

Posts: 6 | From: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the rail exhibit in the postal museum is still there. kind of neat.

hay is the museum of science and industry in the american history museum? if it is, ive seen it, if it isnt, there is something i have missed even though ive lived in DC for years.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaJim:

hay is the museum of science and industry in the american history museum? if it is, ive seen it, if it isnt, there is something i have missed even though ive lived in DC for years.

Yes, though I can't remember the exact location. Somewhere in the basement. It's part of a large transportation exhibit.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Smithsonian just last year opened a completely new transportation exhibit. It is downstairs in the Museum of American History, and is said to be very good (I haven't seen it yet). 1401 is the centerpiece of the recreation of the area around the depot of a small Southern town c. 1925, with old autos etc.

It will be a permanent exhibit, so there's no rush to see it, but it's supposed to be very good.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page