RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First time Traveler

Author Topic: First time Traveler
Tessie
Member # 1419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all are scaring me. I have booked a trip in the middle of October from Jacksonville, FL, change in Philadelphia, then Chicago with arrival at Sacramento. At this point I don't even know if this will be still on. I've booked a standard sleeper to Philadelphia, then deluxe the rest of the way.

On my return it will be from Sacramento to LA, then straight through to Jacksonville.

I'll keep checking this site for information, but for someone like me who can not physically travel my plane (arthritis very bad in my hips and knees, but not enough to get me handicapped prices), train travel is the only alternative.

What advice can you give me: do I just wait this out and keeping checking websites and forums?

Posts: 18 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is scaring you Tessie? The threat that Amtrak will shut down?

------------------
brad

Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, no one can say for certain what Amtrak's future will be. Amtrak should be still running until the end of October. Legally, they can't shut down the trains until after posting a 6 month discontinuation notice. Unfortunately, it is a gamble when booking that close to the "deadline." If I were you, I would closely monitor the news, and be prepared to change your plans if need be. I would also write your reps and the president.. that's all that we can do at this point!

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give it about an 80% chance that the long distance trains will still be running in October and beyond. There aren't enough anti-Amtrak votes in Congress to kill Amtrak, and without the long-distance trains there is really no reason for Amtrak, including the Northbeast Horrordor, to receive federal funding.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page