RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlite always late?

Author Topic: Coast Starlite always late?
Ronnie1a@sbcglobal.net
Member # 4347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ronnie1a@sbcglobal.net     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past week this train has been hours late (southbound) every day. Is this "normal" or is something going on that causes it?

--------------------
Ronnie1a

Posts: 2 | From: retired | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Coast Starlight is normally 2-6 hours late.

-David

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once once did I track the Starlight and see it was "On-Time" arriving in it's final destination. That was christmas day so there was not much freight traffic I presume.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnhedge
Member # 4241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnhedge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Starlight is always late and I am booked with a 1 hour train change from the Starlight to the Empire Builder in Portland. What is my deli ma.

The agent told me it was a guaranteed connection. However obviously this is not possible if it is always late.

What, if anything, does Amtrak do about it?

--------------------
Poor Boys Train Trip Live Journal
http://johnhedge.livejournal.com/

Posts: 27 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put you on a bus in Klamath Falls all the way to Pasco if its really late, or Portland if it's near on-time (2-3 hours late)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They normally meet the late northbound 'Coast Starlight' with a bus and drive conecting passengers to 'catch up' with the eastbound 'Empire Builder'.....usually in Pasco, WA.

Odd that they booked you for a same day connection without warning. I thought I had read somewhere that Amtrak intended to no longer gaurantee that connection.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
Once once did I track the Starlight and see it was "On-Time" arriving in it's final destination. That was christmas day so there was not much freight traffic I presume.

UP shuts down all freight traffic on Christmas day. The coast starlight likely had green signals all the way with the freights parked.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by johnhedge:
If the Starlight is always late and I am booked with a 1 hour train change from the Starlight to the Empire Builder in Portland. What is my deli ma.

The agent told me it was a guaranteed connection. However obviously this is not possible if it is always late.

What, if anything, does Amtrak do about it?

I'm not sure why they did this. They broke the train-train connection with the NORTHBOUND starlight and EASTBOUND Empire Builder a few months back-although vice-versa (WESTBOUND EB and SOUTHBOUND CS you can still make train-train @ Portland).

Going north then east, you'll have a bus.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez... I saw earlier this week the southbound CS was like 7 hours late and didn't get into Los Angeles until like 4:30AM.

Holy cow.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page