RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » F40 in Albany

Author Topic: F40 in Albany
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently took a ride to Albany-Rensselaer, NY on train 282. Thinking this would be an ordinary trip I was pleasantly surprised to see F40 316 on train 48, the Lake Shore Limited when it arrived. It was taken off along with lead units 55 and 155 and remained there. The last time i saw this F40 was on the westbound LSL back on April 23, 2003. Anybody know what lies ahead for this unit? I'm hoping a museum of some sort.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Connecticut DOT.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The F40 are still frequently used on the Hiawatha Service between Chicago and Milwaukee. The train set has an engine on front and one on the back... and often they have an F40 on one end and a Genesis on the other.
Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rtabern,

The F40's you see on the Hiawatha are de-powered cab control units. You will notice the large doors on the side (was some talk about using it for carrying luggage)and the missing fuel tanks on the bottom

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting! Thanks... never knew that
Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cabbage Cars!

(Cab + Baggage)

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page