RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coach bathroom/shower?

Author Topic: Coach bathroom/shower?
johnhedge
Member # 4241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnhedge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a previous post Room Service posted

By the way, any Amtrak coach bathroom can become a shower! Especially the handicapped bathrooms.

I see these at the 99 cents store all the time

Can someone explain what " these " are and what is involved in using them?

I get the impression that it is some kind of hand held device which fits over the faucet and makes a shower like in a motor home.

Would this not make a wet mess in the bathroom, requiring that the room be wiped down and moped?

This idea ,if practical, would be a great help on my journey.

--------------------
Poor Boys Train Trip Live Journal
http://johnhedge.livejournal.com/

Posts: 27 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is simply a hose with a shower head at one end that attaches to a faucet. It would be totally impossible in a coach. In the bedrooms they have a shower curtain to pull across the door,coach wouldn't and everything would get wet. It is just as easy and fast to take a sponge bath. You can't wash your hair that way but after all how dirty can one get sitting in a seat all day?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
You can't wash your hair that way

Not if you're Rapunzel, no. But a dude with a short hair cut can easily get a quick shampoo withiout making a mess. Trust me. And, that's all I was suggesting, not a full-on soapy body shower. Just be sure to bring a small towel.

Can you not see the image below, johnhedge? If not see.
 -

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think a wash cloth and a plastic bag to keep it in when it's wet would be the better answer. I wouldn't think the crew or your fellow passengers would appreciate you using a coach restroom as a shower.

BTW, John, I really envy and admire you for taking this trip on!

Frank in wet, cold SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnhedge
Member # 4241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnhedge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda of what I thought it was.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't!

Thanks for the idea and the input.

--------------------

Posts: 27 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those like me without much hair left, I have no problem washing it in coach. I pack little bottles of shampoo and cream rinse, then use the paper cups to rinse after lathering up over the sink. Use of products that can be left in the hair compensate for the lack of a thorough rinse.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John--

I checked your blog and it seems like you've really thought things out well. Printing out your meds and condition is something I just started doing after a small stroke. It can make things so much easier for everyone if something should come up.

Frank in still wet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it might be more trouble than it's worth, here's a thought. . .

It's possible that some of the cities where you'll be changing trains (without actually staying overnight) may have a municipal swimming pool or two, where you'd naturally be able to take a shower. Obviously, you'd need a long enough layover between trains. You'd also have to do advance research (online and by phone) to see when the pool is open, whether it requires an entrance fee, and whether it's even reachable on foot or by public transit.

Another long-shot shower option is a local health club (particularly of the chain variety), which typically offer guest passes to prospective members. Again, with enough time between trains, you might be able to "tour" the gym (bring shorts and a t-shirt), pretend to test the equipment for twenty minutes or so, grab a quick shower, and endure a sales pitch (to which you'll respond, "I'll think about it."). I don't know what sort of story you'd have to spin over the phone to get them to send a guest pass to you at your current out-of-town address, but if you've got a good imagination and a streak of con artist in you. . . .

Naturally, in both shower scenarios, you'd have to stash your backpack at the train station if possible (or leave it with a fellow traveler who's switching to the same train that you are), lest you raise suspicions that you're merely there to use the facilities.

Which, of course, you are.

----------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnhedge
Member # 4241

Member Rated:
Already covered that approach as my blog will show. I will be using the YMCA in Galesburg Ill as there are few options there,

I also need laundry facilities and a grocery store near by.

YMCA's are from $10.00 to $25.00 depending on how big the town is, to use the facilities.

Very few stations have left luggage areas, unless you are sleeper class, since 9/11. I have my " must have " items with me and would feel uneasy leaving them with a fellow passenger, If they came up missing the results would be disastrous if not fatal. Special medicines and equipment needs.

--------------------

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The device shown in the photo is designed to slip over the spout of a standard household bathtub, forming a tight seal that forces the water through the hose. It is too large to fit over the spout of a sink faucet, much less a tiny Superliner sink faucet. It is intended for people who live in older houses that have no shower, just a tub, or those who want to be able to direct a spray somehwere their shower head won't go. They are sold in the plumbing departments of most hardware stores.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrakwine
Member # 4265

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrakwine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most stations that have checked luggage wil let you leave luggage with them behind the counter,whike you leave the station. I know San Antonio and Ft Worth will although Ft Worth will charge you $2 per bag.
Posts: 22 | From: Austin Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
The device shown in the photo is designed to slip over the spout of a standard household bathtub, forming a tight seal that forces the water through the hose. It is too large to fit over the spout of a sink faucet, much less a tiny Superliner sink faucet.They are sold in the plumbing departments of most hardware stores.

The ones at the 99 cent store are just the right size for a Superliner sink faucet. I own one.(Guess how much I paid for it?) I've used it several times when traveling long distance coach. It fits perfectly. Works great! I just couldn't find a photo of one on the Internet.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
They will hold bags for you at LAUPT for $2.00 each. Be sure to ask about the hours they are open, though.

You'll be headed out soon and I'm looking forward to following your adventure. What day will you be on the Starlight headed north. If I'm in town I'd like to at least come down to shake your hand.

Frank in wet, again, SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
John--

I just rechecked your itinerary and realize you will miss SBA and some of the prettiest scenery on the Starlight route. I'd hope to shake your hand but that will have to wait for your next adventure.

Best,

Frank in slowly drying out SBA

PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost every staffed station can hold your bags, but they charge $2 a bag.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blancoj
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blancoj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always buy a couple of packets of No Rinse Bathing Wipes. These are pre-moistened washcloth sized wipes that you can use for bathing, and you don't have to rinse off afterwards. My friends use them on camping trips.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page